[GCompris-devel] Imageid

Karl Ove Hufthammer karl at huftis.org
Sat Jan 17 20:55:16 UTC 2015

On 17. jan. 2015 19:59, Holger Kaelberer wrote:
> Maybe we should package the translated word-lists differently (then).
> Now they come in the voices-XX.rcc, which makes sense when word-lists
> come together with the corresponding ogg-files. Already for german
> this will not be the case as we don't have ogg-files yet (maybe same
> for word-lists that will be translated the po way). So it might make
> sense to package the contents.json in gcompris-qt directly?

Yes, I think so. Actually, I find the imageid activity more interesting
and challenging without the voice files. With the voice file, you only
need to read the words (and don’t really need the image at all).

Without it, you have to look at the image and figure out which (of five)
words fit the image best. Of course, this is easy for very concrete
words and objects, like «apple», but for more abstract concepts, like
for kids.

BTW, that reminds me of another nice activity in the GTK+ version, where
you have to pair up related images (e.g., rain and an umbrella, or a
pencil and a postcard). In later levels it gets more difficult, and in
at least one level there are two reasonable matches for one image, and
you have to choose the correct one based on which of the two also fit a
third image. If this activity was ported, we could probably reuse many
of the art4apps images to create new levels. Some ideas: process based
(cow & milk, tomatoe & ketchup), antonyms (happy & sad, rain & sun),
related in time/season (dream & moon, winter & coat, sun & bathing
suit). It would be fun to try to come up with some really difficult (but
logical) matches for the later levels. :)

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer