[GCompris-devel] Imageid

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Sat Jan 17 14:22:08 UTC 2015

Le 17/01/2015 14:13, Holger Kaelberer a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Regarding imageid I almost finished the german translation of the
> words, as discussed. Also have some changes/fixes for imageid I'll
> push soon. So these probably should go in a released version.
Great.

> Open issue: How do we cope with languages for which we don't have a
> word-list? For now the activity is just not usable. We could either
>
> - reuse the minimum word-set that was there in the beginning as a
> default and part as the regular translation process, so we could
> provide a minimal imageid available for all languages and activate the
> extended word-list if available for the few languages we have
> word-lists for, or
>
> - track which languages we support in imageid (i.e. for which we habe
> a extended word-list) and pop up a dialog to tell the user if he
> starts imageid with a not supported locale. (Or maybe even hide the
> activity from the menu if not supported, which would probably require
> a deeper change.)
>
> WDYT?

I see another option and this is what we are doing in the Gtk+ version,
when we don't have the dataset for the current locale, we warn the user
and switch to English. The message could also make a call to let the
user contribute to KDE i18n.

If we work on the per activity configuration, we also could let the user
change the locale in this activity and thus let the children learn a
foreign language.

Yesterday I had a interesting discussion with Karl Ove Hufthammer. He
raised an very good point about the way we handle the localization of
our dataset. He convinced me that we can go the po way for them by
writing converters in this case content.txt to pot and po to content.txt
(localized). In the pot file we can link to the image on gcompris.net so
that the translator can easily see the image to put a word on it. It has
always been a problem to have the localized dataset, we can probably do
better by using regular translation tools as Karl suggest.