[gcompris-devel] Global learning XPRIZE

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Fri Sep 26 00:25:21 UTC 2014

Le 24/09/2014 03:35, Frederico Goncalves Guimaraes a écrit :
> I don't think there is a direct relation between more voices and
> autonomy. To rewrite the digital manual to make it more detailed could
> be more effective.
Hi,

Concerning XPRIZE we assume children that don't read this is why the
voices are important to start with.

>> Eg. When the program starts the voice prompt should start explaining
>> what is going on on the screen, but there could be a big button to
>> stop the current explanation. In each activity the voice prompt
>> should explan what to do in detail until stopped. From time to time
>> it could also offer more hints and ideas for exploring further.
> I see some problems with it. First, the size of voices files, that
> would grow GCompris size significantly.
Today the english voices takes 16MB. It takes a lot if we want to
address all the language but for english only it would be probably fine.
We don't have the specification of the tablet so will see.

>   Second, it would be a HUGE work
Once you have the message to record, the proper mic and a nice voice
around it goes pretty fast. This is an annoying task to check the files,
cut them and save them in the proper files.

> to make all these records. And third, enable this by default would be
> very annoying, specially if you have a laboratory with many users
> playing with GCompris.  :-)

Here we are targetting children alone in a village. If we get there we
could have option to toggle spoken hints and accomodate schools.