[GCompris-devel] Translation of gcompris-qt

JAZEIX Johnny jazeix at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 18:45:33 UTC 2014

Hello,

As I'm not sure I understand your problem, I'll write things hoping it
solves it :-).

For the BuildTranslations target (the current one, not yet renamed), it
calls the python script in tools/l10n-fetch-po-files.py. subversion
needs to be installed to make it works. This target get the ".po"
translations from the svn folder and put them in the {source_dir}/po.
(you can manually get only your translation in
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n-kf5/).

If it is the first time you have run this target (meaning you didn't
have the po/ folder with the translations when you ran cmake), you need
to run another time cmake (because cmake needs to know which files it
has to handle). Then, running UpdateTranslations will create the .qm
files (which are compiled versions of the translations that we can load
in the application) and put them in the {binary_dir}/share/translations/.
gcompris-qt will load these translations from this folder.

So :
$ccmake ../gcompris && make BuildTranslations will display:
Scanning dependencies of target BuildTranslations
Generating retrievePoFilesFromSvn
No data for af
Fetched bg (and performed 5 cleanups)

Files will be installed in ../gcompris/po/*.po

Then,
$ ccmake ../gcompris && make UpdateTranslations
Scanning dependencies of target UpdateTranslations
[  7%] Generating gcompris_hu.qm
[  7%] Generating gcompris_gl.qm

Files will be installed in ./share/gcompris-qt/translations/*qm.

gcompris will the first time try to load the correct language depending
on the locale (if "C" it is english). You can change the language in the
settings and the changes will appear at the next running of gcompris.

You only need to use the createLocale.sh script if your language is not
in the KDE i18n and existed in the Gtk version.
It seems the Dutch translation is 100%
(http://l10n.kde.org/stats/gui/trunk-kf5/po/gcompris_qt.po/).

Hope it helps.

Johnny