[gcompris-devel] Introducing myself

Marius Kruger amanic at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 23:37:38 UTC 2014

On 26 April 2014 01:00, Bruno Coudoin <bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net> wrote:

> Le 25/04/2014 21:33, Marius Kruger a écrit :

Hi Bruno,

> Welcome on GCompris.
> > I'm interested to make a very simple keyboard activity as that is
> something
> > my 3 year old son may benefit from. Basically the only thing he can play
> at
> > the moment is "mouse/erase". I'd like something that will reward him for
> > banging on the keyboard, then for banging the correct keys etc.
> I assume you are talking about the new Qt Quick based version. Maybe you
> don't have it but it is in our git master. It has been developed by
> Holger who added a virtual keyboard to his port of the gletters
> activity. In this activtiy letters are falling and you must find them on
> the keyboard.

Yes that is where I'll start, still need to figure out how to run from
source but I'm sure it is easy once I have qtcreator. I assume the qt-quick
one will still work on desktop PC's.

I need a much simpler activity, like a keyboard explorer for babies.

Activity 1, Level 1: Press any keys on the keyboard (show a keyboard and
tell user to press buttons). Show a list of 10 vague/greyed out buttons or
placeholders at the top that serves as a counter.
If a key is pressed it is displayed really big an a voice tells you what
that button is eg. a or enter or spacebar .  Every button is a successful
action and fills in one of the vague buttons at the top.
After 10 successful actions - level up.
Level 2: Maybe add some sort of time constraint eg. user must press a
button every 5 seconds, if not then, one of his previous buttons get's
reset. Will need some sort timer indicator eg. a packman coming to eat some
of the pressed keys.

Activity 2: Show a big button on the screen and the user must press it on
the keyboard. This is closer to falling letters but a bit simpler and less
distracting.

If I can figure out how I'll try to start implementing these and try them
out on my son/beta tester, and obviously posting my progress and branches
here.

> You can find the development information here:
> http://gcompris.net/wiki/Developer%27s_corner

I saw yes, thanks.

> If you are interested in helping the development you can select an
> activity from the list here (ask me to get a wiki account):
> http://gcompris.net/wiki/Qt_Quick_Migration_status

cool, let me see how far I get within my limited time. If I manage my
simple activities I'll try to port something more complicated :)

--
regards
✝ Marius