[gcompris-devel] Animations and story leading to Game Play?

roopesh shenoy shenoy.roopesh at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 21:51:53 UTC 2013

Hi Bruno,

Thanks for GCompris.

We've been trialing GCompris in a few places, and one of the key feedback,
is that kids exposed to quality Ipad games (such as ones by Duck-duck
moose) don't really get excited by GCompris interface. Of course, it's a
different question whether those kids are good target subjects for
GCompris, but generally speaking, the games themselves are quite good and
educational once kids are nudged to start playing; it's the starting and
the perception that's the problem.

I've tried out quite a few of the Duck Duck moose games (and a lot of other
IPad edu-games) and the educational part is not really that better than
GCompris - what is better is animation and story around the game play that
keep kids interested; the whole entertainment aspect before getting to the
educational bit.

Is this something we have explored? I wanted to trial out this theory (that
adding some animation and some story-line will actually make it more
interesting for kids) but wanted to check whether any such efforts have
already taken place (or if there are any ideas around this) before
investing time and money.

Be Awesome,

Roopesh