[gcompris-devel] New activity to enrich the vocabulary

Fòram na Gàidhlig fios at foramnagaidhlig.net
Wed May 15 08:51:03 UTC 2013

My partner in crime has finished our first draft of the Gaelic
translation. We got some serious expansion on some of the strings, so we
hope that this will fit into the GUI.

The biggest expansion is:

hug	a' glacadh a chèile gu teann		933%	28 letters

And the longest word:

kneel	tha e a' cromadh air a ghlùinean	640%	32 letters

Sorry, but for some of the pictures a 1-word translation just doesn't
work at all.

> Hi,
>
> For GCompris I created a specific file to manage the translation of the
> voices.
>
> It is in the voices branch under en/words/content.txt
>
> The format is a simple key value pair list of the form:
> ate.ogg:ate
>
> I did it this way instead of relying on the po translation because the
> ogg content must match perfectly the text. A po translator would have to
> hear all the voices. Also since we don't have all the voices it would
> require asking po translator to translate words that are not available
> in the game for their language.

I agree this has to be in a separate file from the main PO.

We have been thinking, what about introducing text domains? Then we
could split up the content to translate to make it easier for new
localisers to find out what's more important. How about something like this:

- gcompris: GUI strings, settings, about page, game titles & main
descriptions etc. Technical stuff like translating the language's
alphabet (gletters, wordsgame, hangman).

- gcompris-computer: strings for computer activities

- gcompris-discovery: strings for discovery activities

As long as we keep this new activity in a separate file, the PO format
will work just as well and be more comfortable for localizers.
Translators actually need to look at the pictures with the original text
on the abecedarium site rather than listen to the sound files. We only
used the sound files to list which entries to translate.