[gcompris-devel] New activity to enrich the vocabulary

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Tue May 14 22:13:15 UTC 2013

Le 14. 05. 13 18:04, Fòram na Gàidhlig a écrit :
> Where do we best to the translation of the words? Do we do that with
> art4apps or with abecedarium?
>
> akerbeltz has already started working on this so we can record sound files.
Hi,

For GCompris I created a specific file to manage the translation of the
voices.

It is in the voices branch under en/words/content.txt

The format is a simple key value pair list of the form:
ate.ogg:ate

I did it this way instead of relying on the po translation because the
ogg content must match perfectly the text. A po translator would have to
hear all the voices. Also since we don't have all the voices it would
require asking po translator to translate words that are not available
in the game for their language.

I got not feedback from art4apps. They have a complete collection of
german voice. Available here:
http://www.art4apps.org/audio/downloadable/german/

A simple wget -r should work to get all the files in one shot.

But we need a german speaker to create the a voice dataset suitable for
GCompris.

More precisely, the tasks are:
- grab all the files
- convert the file to ogg mono 44100Hz (Ouch, I realize I did not
checked this point and the english and french one are stereo).
- rename the files to their English equivalent
- create the content.txt file with the list of ogg files and the text of
the voice in each.
- give me a link to download and release it.