[gcompris-devel] Camera theme for Google Summer Of Code 2012 for GCompris

Vivek Anand anand.vivek13 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 07:19:58 UTC 2012

Hello folks ,

I am Vivek Anand currently pursuing engineering in Computer Science from
India .
I am very passionate about Interaction designing and worked on a multi
touch table
with college mates [1] <http://vimeo.com/2953423>. My blog details
[2]<http://insidevivek.wordpress.com/>[3]<http://anandvivek.in/>

 <http://vimeo.com/2953423>Besides , I am a open source enthusiast and
active member of linux user group at
my college. I am using linux since past 3 years from now. Along with my
college
friends we visited nearby rural area and trained kids to use OLPC laptops.
At that
time making them familiar with GCompris fascinated me and drew my attention
[4]<http://lug-iitd.posterous.com/training-of-kids-in-olpc-classroom-at-kikarwa>

I am looking forward to participate in Google Summer Of Code 2012 and
stumbling
upon gnome's project page , GCompris appeals me the most . It will be my
pleasure
to contribute to GCompris .

In this regard , I browsed through the idea page of GCompris and
implementing a
camera simulator for Kids attracted me the most. So , I am planing to
choose
*Camera theme* and develop a bunch of activities for GCompris to let kids
explain
the concepts used in photography.

I am listing the activities which I am planing to implement as follows :-

1)  *Know your camera *- In this activity we will explain kids about
different parts of
camera for instance lens , screen , on/off button etc and how each works /
functionality.
After teaching them we may keep a level to ask kids to assemble the various
parts of a
camera like a puzzle or ask them to label each one of them.

2)  *Take a shoot* - In this activity we'll place a tripod stand with a
camera on its top and
a background image. We'll ask kids to change the orientation of the camera
and
capture some specified objects in the given picture. The difficulty of the
level will vary
according to the number of objects in the picture .

3) *Camera Simulator* - While researching on the similar topic I came
across an
interesting link [5] <http://camerasim.com/camera-simulator/> . So in the
initial levels of this activity we may try to explain
each one of them lightning , aperture , focal length , aperture ISO , etc
individually
and at the end of the level we may show them altogether and ask kids to
modify
image using all the functionality and add a save image feature too.

4) *Collage - *In this activity we may provide different blank structures
in form of a tree, ring
or constellation. Then for instance for tree structure we'll ask kids to
import the pictures
of their family members and place them on the tree according to correct
hierarchy.
Having placed all of them , they'll be asked to take a snapshot and save
the image on
their desktop . Similarly this may be applied for friends, pets etc.

Also , I am doing a bit more research on teaching photography to a kids in
the age group
2 - 10 and came across an interesting link [6]
<http://www.pixiq.com/article/teaching-photography-to-children>, so I'll
take into consideration this blogpost
for my fifth activity .

I am looking forward for your views on this .Also i would like to know how
many activities do
you expect for gsoc time span ? I'll be glad to hear from you soon and your
reviews on the
same .

Links
[1]  - http://vimeo.com/2953423