[gcompris-devel] Idea for new activity - right-click - request for comments

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Tue Aug 7 22:10:51 UTC 2012

Le 07/08/12 22:47, Peter Albrecht a écrit :
> Hello list,
>
> I want to teach my son, how to use the computer (on a laptop
> with linux installed). But I could not find an activity to
> explicitly train right mouse clicks. I must admit, I have
> not tried every one of the 124 activities yet. But at least
> I could not find one in the "train the mouse" menü.

The activity 'penalty' in the computer->mouse menu can be used
to train the right click.

> My idea:
> According to the fairy tail "Cinderella", I present the user
> a bowl of lentils and ashes. The user has to left click the
> lentils and right click the ashes in order to sort them to
> two other bowl on the left / right respectively.
>
> I would like to implement this activity myself and
> contribute it to GCompris (if everything works out well).
> But before I invest several hours, I would like to gather
> some comments about this idea:
>
> 1) Is there a similar activity, which I have not found yet?

Yes concerning the right click as I said before.

> 2) Does this fit in GCompris?
>    2.1) Reference to fairy tails

I personnaly don't like it that much. I believe this fairy tail is
sexist, the girl is a good servant until a prince comes. Even if this is
public domain we may be in trouble with disney.

>    2.2) two mouse buttons <-> MacOS / iPad / iPhone

This is a major concern, this is why I designed 'penalty' in a way that
right click is not mandatory to play the activity. I don't wan't to have
an activity that cannot be played on some platforms.

> 3) Other comments?

Do you have programming skills? Have you looked at some activities code
in python, does that afraid you? Also, we have a lot of ideas in the
wiki to pick from.