[gcompris-devel] L10n + Gcompriz + Quechua in Peru

Aleksey Lim alsroot at activitycentral.org
Tue Sep 20 20:09:07 UTC 2011

CCing to Chris Leonard, Sugar Labs Translation Team coordinator,
Bruno Coudoin, GCompris lead developer and GCompris mailing list

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 02:18:34PM -0500, Hernan Pachas wrote:
> Hello Aleksey Lim.
>
> My name is Hernán Pachas of Lima - Perú.
>
> would like to know what activities are available Gcompris for XO in
> Spanish, to locate such activities in the Quechua language.
>
> We believe it is very important to join efforts and build on what has
> already been working so far.
>
> There is great interest by the Peruvian government's effort to
> dedicate the next 5 years to increase children's knowledge in
> mathematics.
>
> We currently have over 300,000 XO laptops distributed at the primary
> level is about the platform on which would be implemented GCompris
> activities in Peru.
>
> Any help from the GCompris team is very important to us.
>
> Greetings,
>
> ---hernan

Hernan: Sure, I think it will be possible to have translation to Quechua
languages as well. But it will need some time to launch the process..

Bruno: If I got it right, the current .po translation process is
changing .po directly and somehow share them to commit? If yes, it might
be useful to have tools like Pootle[1] to let not technical people
translate GC in more convenient way. What do you think about hosting
GC's .po files on Sugar Labs Pootle instance [2]. We can start to figure
out how it might be implemented and start from new language (btw, it
will be a good chance to rehash sugar patch for GC to push it to
upstream at the end)?

[1] http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/
[2] http://translate.sugarlabs.org/

--