[gcompris-devel] GCompris Afghanistan Translations (Pashto and Dari)

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Tue Mar 2 20:08:04 UTC 2010

Le mardi 02 mars 2010 à 20:23 +0430, Mike Dawson a écrit :
> Dear List,
>
> As part of the One Laptop Per Child Afghanistan project we have
> completed localization of GCompris as per the README.translators file
> and Q/A tested that (each and every board).

Hi,

This is good news. Thanks for your efforts.

> The po files I am assuming we will put in through the normal GNOME
> translation team, should I send a patch file for the boards and voices
> or how should that be contributed?  I checked out
> http://gcompris.net/wiki/index.php/Developer%27s_corner and the README
> but I couldn't see where this is specified.

I usually commit specific GCompris files myself. You can send them to me
privately.

> I am doing some testing with the Arabic numbers - I would be interested
> in writing a patch so that numbers in the boards will be parsed
> appropriately no matter if they are input as arabic or latin numbers
> regardless of what keyboard layout is being used.  I am relatively
> familiar with python and have contributed code to others before (in
> Python specifically offlineimap) - if anyone has any requests /
> recommendations on how this would be best implemented please do let me
> know.

We are already doing a similar things in gcompris.c for mapping the
keypads to numbers, whatever caps-lock is set to. Even if you don't
write C code, this should not be very difficult. At least, if you can
You could easily extend this to map arabic numbers. I'll be ok to
include this patch.
Hum, it seems like there is a definition for that in gdkkeysyms.h:
GDK_Arabic_0
So can you test making the code look like this:
   case GDK_KP_0:
   case GDK_KP_Insert:
   case GDK_Arabic_0:
      event->keyval=GDK_0;

And so on for other numbers. Let me know if it works. This code is
global to GCompris and thus will apply to all activities, in C or in
python.

--
Bruno Coudoin
http://gcompris.net  Free educational software for kids