[gcompris-devel] Running an activity out from GCompris

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Wed Feb 17 03:49:47 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 06:51:05PM +0100, Jaume Obrador wrote:
> Hi! I'll be glad to share with you my changes.
>
> I still prefer to pack myself this version you can install through
> zeroinstall, so if you agree in the future, to include this changes in
> the stable version, maybe I can take profit of that.

0install packaging guide is http://0install.net/injector-packagers.html
but maybe it's overkill to use 0install(e.g. only for 40 machines).

Anyway GComris Electric is not separate project and it's being built
automatically from entirely gcompris tarball thus it's really hard
to keep upstream and modified code in the same 0install feed, you'll
need to use different to
http://services.sugarlabs.org/gcompris/electric.xml url for your
modified code(so it will just another 0install feed).

> So my question now is, what's better?
>
> 1.- Modify full electric activity to reduce icons?
> 2.- Leave the original electric activity for small children and create a
> clone with reduced icons, and maybe other extras and pack it as a
> different activity? (It would be great to be able to save circuits, see
> Ressistence, as well as V and I, etc...). I will use it on high school
> students (14-15 year old).
>
> Kind regards.
> Jaume.
>

> El dt 16 de 02 de 2010 a les 08:51 +0100, en/na Bruno Coudoin va
> escriure:
> > Le mardi 16 février 2010 à 08:26 +0100, Jaume Obrador a écrit :
> > > Thanks a lot, it has been very useful. I anaged to install the electric
> > > application into my system. Now I need some more help from you:
> > >
> > > I would like to modify the game, making an smaller icons, changing code
> > > to fit new sizes (I already done this, downloading the full
> > > gcompris-electric-9.1-3.tar.bz2 and changed the code), but I need to put
> > > this changed application on the air. I tried to upload that file on a
> > > server of mine, and change the electric.xml to reflect the server
> > > change, but I get some security errors. My question is
> >
> > We maybe interested in your changes. I also agree that the icons are too
> > big. Would you like to share your work ?
> >
> > > - Can I build a deb self-installation file for ubuntu?
> > > - Can I simply tar.bz2 again the modified files and install on a new
> > > computer without having to use zero install?
> > >
> > > Sorry to be so confusing, what I really need, in a few words, is to
> > > modify the activity on my PC and share it with about 40 netbooks on my
> > > class and run it.
> >
> > Ok, then you don't really need to package only the electricity activity.
> > This is overkill. Just run:
> > gcompris -l /experience/electric
> >
> > So you create a launcher with that.
> >
> > Bruno.