[gcompris-devel] Running an activity out from GCompris

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Tue Feb 16 22:28:51 UTC 2010

Le mardi 16 février 2010 à 18:51 +0100, Jaume Obrador a écrit :
> So my question now is, what's better?
>
> 1.- Modify full electric activity to reduce icons?

Sure, I can and will do this.

> 2.- Leave the original electric activity for small children and create a
> clone with reduced icons, and maybe other extras and pack it as a
> different activity? (It would be great to be able to save circuits, see
> Ressistence, as well as V and I, etc...). I will use it on high school
> students (14-15 year old).

Hum, I think that using GCompris for 14-15 years old children is a
mistake in the first place. We don't and won't target this age range.

My son is 16 and we use ktechlab for serious electricity simulation.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ktechlab/

This project includes it own simulation engine which is quite
impressive.

On our side, GCompris starts gnucap in stdin / stdout parsing mode which
is rather simple to do but highly inefficient. We cannot go much more
dynamic than what we currently do. We'd better keep this activity to do
what is has been build for, introduce electricity concept to children.

As a rule of thumb, GCompris's activity are here to discover concept.
Then I expect children to use serious software when they expect more
feature.

--
Bruno Coudoin
http://gcompris.net  Free educational software for kids