[gcompris-devel] Spanish translation

brian at amason.net brian at amason.net
Sat Feb 13 18:24:58 UTC 2010

On Sat, February 13, 2010 8:06 am, Bruno Coudoin wrote:
> Le vendredi 12 février 2010 à 00:58 +0100, Angel Ivan Moreno a écrit :
>> Is there a
>> chance to add a new language option to differenciate between
>> Spanish-latinamerican (aka "modern sort") and Spanish-Spain (aka
>> "traditional sort")? I can contribute with my recordings and I can also
>> review the original Spanish strings and adapt them to Spain.
>
> I have nothing against it. We already have pt and pt_br sub locale. Is
> there the same kind of locale organisation for Spanish. GCompris does
> follow the official GNU/Linux naming scheme for locales.

The locale for Spain Spanish is the main entry, ie es_ES.
The Latin American locales are diverse.

Spanish Argentina es_AR

Spanish Bolivia es_BO

Spanish Chile es_CL

Spanish Colombia es_CO

Spanish Costa Rica es_CR

Spanish Dominican Republic es_DO

Spanish Ecuador es_EC

Spanish El Salvador es_SV

Spanish Guatemala es_GT

Spanish Honduras es_HN

Spanish Mexico es_MX

Spanish Nicaragua es_NI

Spanish Panama es_PA

Spanish Paraguay es_PY

Spanish Peru es_PE

Spanish Puerto Rico es_PR

Spanish Uruguay es_UY

Spanish Venezuela es_VE

I don't know who contributed the original Spanish translation. I'd
recommend finding out where that person is from and switch the locale to
his location, which is apparently not Spain. If that is impossible,
perhaps Mexico or Brazil would be an appropriate default locale for the
current translation, and Senor Moreno's version applied as es_ES. It would
be a nice addition, since, I'm trying to teach my daughter some Spanish.
More variety is usually better.

Brian