[gcompris-devel] On track for 9.1 this Week End.

denis.a.b denis.a.b at free.fr
Wed Feb 10 13:29:02 UTC 2010

Le mercredi 10 février 2010 à 00:01 +0100, Bruno Coudoin a écrit :
> Le mardi 09 février 2010 à 23:19 +0100, denis.a.b a écrit :
> > Today the gcompris 9.1.1 is in the offcial fedora "updates" repository.
> > I installed it and at first look I can tell:
> > - Obvious big performance issue, it is quickly becoming VERY slow
> > everywhere after a few games.
>
> I am not that happy with the performance but never saw a degradation
> over time. Can you make the test without the sounds (gcompris -m).

I tested gcompris 9.1.1 without the sound (-m) and it is all right!

I re-tested gcompris with sound on, and "top" in another window, in fact
the "pulseaudio" process goes to 85% CPU relatively quickly once
gcompris is started (no obvious reason that can be repetitive), and
never goes down, so with only 15% CPU left for gcompris no surprise it
is so slow.
pulseaudio is version 0.9.21-4.fc12

During my tests there was no major Linux swapping, and I can't really
tell if there is a relation between the audio process eating cpu-time
and being a little short of memory.

Hope it helps,
Denis