[gcompris-devel] Extending GCompris

brian at amason.net brian at amason.net
Thu Sep 24 22:21:20 UTC 2009

Hello, total newbie to the list here.

I've been looking for a few things, lately.

One, I'd like to be able to add/replace puzzles to the puzzle section.
I've not seen a way to do this in the administration piece. I'm currently
running version 8.4.4.
The second thing I'm looking for is "foreign" language teaching game(s).
Actually I was looking for an actual language teaching tool, complete with
games, suitable for very early education (K-3). I didn't find anything
suitable. Hookeed On Spanish was the closest, but the material is too
little.

I see Childsplay has a way to add modules, so I could write my own, and
add to it over time. I'm wondering if GCompris has a similar option. If
so, would it be feasible to do an almost generic module that with a few
tweaks could run in both studios? Since, I'm going to be building an
actual language tutor, capable of teaching (at least the common European)
languages, it would be nice if I could contribute back to the community. I
plan on making the "plugin" data based so that it is language independent.

Naturally, this is for very young children, and won't be a full blown
language tutor. Although, I do plan on adding more than just your Disney
variety speech. My ultimate goal is to provide enough data for a three
years of language training for young children (3 yrs x 26 weeks/yr x 3
sessions/wk x 10-15 min/session ~ 65 hours of voice). So obviously it's
going to be a big database, which will have to be broken up into smaller
bitesize chunks, like into quarters (65/12 ~ 5 hours of voice ~ 70MB).
Which might still be a bit large?

Thanks,
Brian