[gcompris-devel] GCompris !! Help me please !!!

Sérgio Durigan Júnior sergiosdj at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 12:34:24 UTC 2009

Hi Viviane,

I am very new to the Gcompris community (my involvement with the
project began a few months ago), but I will try to answer your
questions.  I believe Bruno would be the best person for it, since he
is the project maintainer and creator, but apparently he is busy :-).

2009/10/26 Viviane Santana <viviane.lsantana at gmail.com>:
> What tools do you use in the project?

By "tools" you mean development tools?  The project uses git as its
versioning system, autotools for the build system.

It is also being adapted in order to use the new GooCanvas widget
(<http://live.gnome.org/GooCanvas>).  There's a Python scripting
support built-in, internationalization using gettext, and a lot of XML
:-).  This specific slide may help you:
<http://gcompris.net/docs/en/architecture/img11.html>.

> How does it appear the need to implement new things or problems to be
> resolved? Teachers give suggestions on some forum and any voluntarily
> implements in latest version, is this?

According to this page <http://gcompris.net/-Contact,26->, I'm not
really sure how people communicate this to the community, but I
believe they use this list.  As far as I know, there is no official
forum for the project, although there might be unofficial ones where
the developers get ideas from.  There is an IRC channel (#gcompris on
freenode), but apparently nobody uses that.

> Is there any place that store a list of requirements or improvements to be
> implemented?

I don't know about that, sorry.

> How does the team distribute the tasks to develop the new requirements?

I may be wrong, but I believe the team doesn't distribute the tasks.

> How is the communication between those involved in the project to resolve
> problems or inquiries about the project? Only by e-mail? Do you use some
> other tool? such as chat, video conferences, etc.?

As I said above, there is an IRC channel.  But since nobody uses that,
I believe the communication is done through this list only.

> How is the process of fixing bugs found and reported in bugzilla?

I don't know.  However, I would guess bug reports are sent to this
mailing list, and get fixed by some good soul ;-).  No official
process.

> What can be improved or is lacking in the project?

Bruno wrote that:
<http://gcompris.net/docs/en/architecture/img8.html>.  Maybe this is a
good start :-).

Sorry about the unanswered questions.