[gcompris-devel] GCompris !! Help me please !!!

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Mon Oct 26 20:29:30 UTC 2009

Sérgio,

Thanks for having taking time to respond.

Viviane, I am sorry to tell you but most of the informations you are
looking for are easily accessible from our website. As you did not took
time to search by yourself, I did not want to take time to answer you.

As Sérgio raised some interesting points I answer bellow.

Le lundi 26 octobre 2009 à 10:34 -0200, Sérgio Durigan Júnior a écrit :
> Hi Viviane,
>
> I am very new to the Gcompris community (my involvement with the
> project began a few months ago), but I will try to answer your
> questions.  I believe Bruno would be the best person for it, since he
> is the project maintainer and creator, but apparently he is busy :-).
>
> 2009/10/26 Viviane Santana <viviane.lsantana at gmail.com>:
> > What tools do you use in the project?
>
> By "tools" you mean development tools?  The project uses git as its
> versioning system, autotools for the build system.
>
> It is also being adapted in order to use the new GooCanvas widget
> (<http://live.gnome.org/GooCanvas>).  There's a Python scripting
> support built-in, internationalization using gettext, and a lot of XML
> :-).  This specific slide may help you:
> <http://gcompris.net/docs/en/architecture/img11.html>.
>
> > How does it appear the need to implement new things or problems to be
> > resolved? Teachers give suggestions on some forum and any voluntarily
> > implements in latest version, is this?
>
> According to this page <http://gcompris.net/-Contact,26->, I'm not
> really sure how people communicate this to the community, but I
> believe they use this list.  As far as I know, there is no official
> forum for the project, although there might be unofficial ones where
> the developers get ideas from.  There is an IRC channel (#gcompris on
> freenode), but apparently nobody uses that.
>
> > Is there any place that store a list of requirements or improvements to be
> > implemented?
>
> I don't know about that, sorry.

Here it is:
http://gcompris.net/wiki/index.php/Ideas_for_activities

> > How does the team distribute the tasks to develop the new requirements?
>
> I may be wrong, but I believe the team doesn't distribute the tasks.

No we usually don't, everybody can provide code and ideas on their own
schedule.

> > How is the communication between those involved in the project to resolve
> > problems or inquiries about the project? Only by e-mail? Do you use some
> > other tool? such as chat, video conferences, etc.?
>
> As I said above, there is an IRC channel.  But since nobody uses that,
> I believe the communication is done through this list only.

Yes, I don't use the IRC currently but it has been very active in the
past.

We have a bugzilla at gnome.org. Bug are filled there.

> > What can be improved or is lacking in the project?
>
> Bruno wrote that:
> <http://gcompris.net/docs/en/architecture/img8.html>.  Maybe this is a
> good start :-).

Sure, or this list again: