[gcompris-devel] Performance issues

Yavor Doganov yavor at gnu.org
Wed Sep 26 18:30:34 UTC 2007

Terje Bergström wrote:

> Basically, it seems that almost everything is slow. But then again,
> it's a 330MHz processor, so it is bound to be much slower than
> normal PCs.

I'm not sure if it is at all possible to make analogy when it comes to
CPU frequencies on different architectures.

I recently bought a Pentium II 350 MHz (my desktop machine now) and
GCompris runs very well.  For ages I've been running it on my Pentium
MMX 233 MHz and it was quite bearable too.  All my kids were using it
(and still use it on the PII now) without any complaint.  By contrast,
it runs much faster on a powerpc G3 266 MHz...

FWIW, I do experience everything that you describe, but it never
annoyed me.  On these machines, GCompris is completely usable
application compared to OpenOffice.org, Firefox or Evolution.