[gcompris-devel] Performance issues

Terje Bergström terje at terje.fi
Sun Sep 30 06:03:51 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 26 September 2007 21:30:34 Yavor Doganov wrote:
> I'm not sure if it is at all possible to make analogy when it comes to
> CPU frequencies on different architectures.

Of course not, but it's some indication. OMAP does in one cycle more than
desktop processors, and N800 has somewhat less stuff going in background than
normal Ubuntu installations.

> FWIW, I do experience everything that you describe, but it never
> annoyed me.  On these machines, GCompris is completely usable
> application compared to OpenOffice.org, Firefox or Evolution.

Performance and feeling of responsiveness is always subjective. I find it very
annoying to click on something and not get any indication that something is
happening. If I don't get feedback, I tend to click on buttons several times
to make sure the click "went through". I do know that software with similar
and higher complexity than gcompris is able to run very smoothly in N800, so
there is room for improvement.

On the brighter side, compiling with optimizations helped, i.e. it's much more
responsive. I suspect something uses a lot of floating point and having them
software emulated did not help a lot. Now hardware floating point is enabled.
I seem to have lost the paintings puzzle which I have used previously for
performance testing, but in the tangram puzzle the pieces get dragged around
in real time.

There is still a long lag between clicking on an activity in menu and getting
it started, or clicking on "home" in activity and getting back to menu, or
clicking on basically anything in the bottom row and getting a response. I'll
try to see what could be the problem. Any ideas are welcome. Perhaps the
touch screen is not treated the same way as mouse clicks or something like
that.

Out of curiosity, I installed oprofile and ran a short test. If I did
everything correctly, most of the time in gcompris is spent actually in
gnomecanvas (more than 10000 for libgnomecanvas vs. 24 samples for gcompris).
This of course leads to thinking that a faster canvas could lead to
significant performance boost. Then the question becomes that is the way
gcompris uses canvas somehow non-optimal or is gnomecanvas just plain slow.

Best regards,
Terje