[gcompris-devel] gcompris summit the 21,22/2 at the Freedem in Bruxelle/Belgium

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Wed Jan 21 22:40:00 UTC 2004

Le mer 21/01/2004 à 11:47, stasZ a écrit :
> On 2004.01.21 00:43, Bruno Coudoin wrote:

> > The agenda is currently to make a presentation of gcompris to users
> > and
> > institutions the 21 afternoon, followed by a discussion to determine
> > where we need to focus our efforts.
> >
> > The 22, we will have the oportunity to have a computer room and I
> > would
> > like us to meet there to:
> > - echange ideas on where to go next,
> > - have coding review, training, ...
> > - have beer ...
> I have the opportunity to go one of the two days, hmm RMS talk and ruby
> tutorial or,  belgian beer with a bunch of frenchmen sounds like
> hacking the
> beer.
> I let you know :)

Well, my religion do not forbid me to have a beer on saturday and
sunday. You are lucky, you can choose you day.

> > I have already been in contact with Stasz (from childsplay) and that
> > will be an oportunity to tell him how gcompris is a far superior
> > product
> You must be kiddin, but i invite anybody to try to change my opinion
> about using a canvas (which the gnome developers think sucks), with a C
> core
> that gets wrapped by Python just to provide a Flash lookalike. :0

I confirm I was kiddin. The smiley did not printout.

> > More seriously, we have to sync our effort as best as we can in
> > the
> > respect of each project background and goal.
> Ofcourse
>
> Something happend a few weeks ago that got me thinking:
>
> I have talked with the head of a big school (age 4-12, don't know the
> word)
> and there i've seen the future.
> The future lies not in Gcompris or childsplay etc, nor anything MS
> related.
>
> It's a school connected by broadband to the net (every school in
> Holland), and
> connect to  web based activities provided by the scoolbook publishers,
> these
> multi-media activities and explainations are complemantery to the books
> used.
> It's compatible with mozilla and sun java and works with Linux.
> (they let me hook-up my laptop)
> The most important part for the schools is that it cost them nothing
> they get it with their books, also the web base makes it platform
> independant.
>
> That's where the future of edu software lies. (IMHO) We fighting a
> losing battle :-(

That's a very good news. The point is that they can use GNU/Linux in
schools and that's very good for us.
I don't and never think gcompris could replace anything. it's just a
tool beside others. But it's been done to make sure schools can choose
GNU/Linux and still have content for the kids.
We are winning because the windows platform becomes irrelevent.