[gcompris-devel] gcompris summit the 21,22/2 at the Freedem in Bruxelle/Belgium

stasZ stas at linux.isbeter.nl
Wed Jan 21 02:48:08 UTC 2004

On 2004.01.21 00:43, Bruno Coudoin wrote:

> We have the oportunity to set-up a gcompris summit in Bruxelle/
> Belgium
> the February 21 and 22.
> This is part of the freeedem session that will happen this year
> beside
> the FOSDEM.
They even fork a conference ;)

> The agenda is currently to make a presentation of gcompris to users
> and
> institutions the 21 afternoon, followed by a discussion to determine
> where we need to focus our efforts.
>
> The 22, we will have the oportunity to have a computer room and I
> would
> like us to meet there to:
> - echange ideas on where to go next,
> - have coding review, training, ...
> - have beer ...
I have the opportunity to go one of the two days, hmm RMS talk and ruby
tutorial or,  belgian beer with a bunch of frenchmen sounds like
hacking the
beer.
I let you know :)

> I have already been in contact with Stasz (from childsplay) and that
> will be an oportunity to tell him how gcompris is a far superior
> product
You must be kiddin, but i invite anybody to try to change my opinion
about using a canvas (which the gnome developers think sucks), with a C
core
that gets wrapped by Python just to provide a Flash lookalike. :0

> More seriously, we have to sync our effort as best as we can in
> the
> respect of each project background and goal.
Ofcourse

Something happend a few weeks ago that got me thinking:

I have talked with the head of a big school (age 4-12, don't know the
word)
and there i've seen the future.
The future lies not in Gcompris or childsplay etc, nor anything MS
related.

It's a school connected by broadband to the net (every school in
Holland), and
connect to  web based activities provided by the scoolbook publishers,
these
multi-media activities and explainations are complemantery to the books
used.
It's compatible with mozilla and sun java and works with Linux.
(they let me hook-up my laptop)
The most important part for the schools is that it cost them nothing
they get it with their books, also the web base makes it platform
independant.

That's where the future of edu software lies. (IMHO) We fighting a
losing battle :-(

Stas Z

"There are only 10 types of people in this world:
 Those who understand binary, and those who don't."