[gcompris-devel] Japanese falling letters

Yan Seiner yan at cardinalengineering.com
Sat Feb 7 08:03:04 UTC 2004

Bruno Coudoin wrote:

> OK, now I understand what you want to do. Using gcompris for a target
> language.
> It's true that it maybe hard to reach the activity you want in a
> language you don't already know but there is few other options.
> Understand that your isue could be generalized to this:
> - I want to run gcompris in language A
> - but run this very activity in language B

Well sort of.  That's what I'd like to do.  But I'll accomodate it under
the Japanese locale (I don't want to fork your code.)

Another concern is that the Japanese use 4 different writing systems:
the roman alphabet, two phoenetic alphabets (kana), and the pictographs
(kanji).

I'm not proposing to try to have falling kanji (at least not yet), but I
should have both kana alphabets and the roman alphabet available under
the Japanese locale.  That's three different alphabets.

The keyboard has to be switched from one to the other; it's not
practical to mix them all up (at least not until the user has some very
advanced keyboard skills).

So, under a Japanese locale, we still have to have a way to select which
set of falling letters to use; in practice, that translates to 3 games,
possibly 4 if we eventually incorporate kanji under Japanese locale.

Since these are parallel alphabets, you can't really add them as the
difficulty level rises.

> What you may what to use is gcompris_edit to select a bunch of activity
> you want to use in a target language. This way it's easy to find your
> way. Also with the icons, it's easy to find an activity even if you
> cannot read the menu.

OK, I'll look into that.

--Yan
Yan Seiner, PE  (_)\(_)     ,>/'_   o__     o__
Cardinal Engineering, Inc. (_)\(_)  ,>/'_   ,>/'_
http://www.cardinalengineering.com (_)\(_) (_)\(_)
spam killer code kpwq1jkcsEzdx39gnkVvgycd15ayqq