[gcompris-devel] Japanese falling letters

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Sat Feb 7 05:19:02 UTC 2004

Le sam 07/02/2004 à 13:17, Yan Seiner a écrit :
> Bruno Coudoin wrote:

> >>I'm thinking of rewriting the gletters.c to something like gkana.c,
> >>rather than relying on locale.  That way, a non-speaker can learn kana.
> >>  I've looked at the code; it looks pretty good and it shouldn't be that
> >>hard.
> >>

> > No, it's not the solution. You should implement it in gletters. I don't
> > see your point about "non-speakers". Well you can fork this file but I
> > won't release it in gcompris. I don't wan't to have an activity specific
> > to a locale. gcompris is international.
>
> I think we're talking about the same thing here.  My default locale is
> cs_CZ, but my kids are learning Japanese.  I want to be able to bring up
> gcompris, and play a falling kana game without changing my locale, while
> maintaining my instructions in Czech.  I though that it would be easier
> to do this as a separate game, rather than switch between roman alphabet
> and kana based on locale.  Are you saying the same thing?
>
> If I implement this in gletters, how would users switch between roman
> and japanese?
>
> As far as the non-speakers go, I can imagine lots of parents who don't
> speak japanese but whose kids are learning japanese at a basic level in
> school, so the locale will be set to the parent's locale, but the game
> will be in Japanese.  Anyone who can read Japanese will not need to play
> this game other than for fun.

OK, now I understand what you want to do. Using gcompris for a target
language.
It's true that it maybe hard to reach the activity you want in a
language you don't already know but there is few other options.
Understand that your isue could be generalized to this:
- I want to run gcompris in language A
- but run this very activity in language B

What you propose here is have a version of each activity in each
language !!! Today it means 50 Activities by 40 Language => 2000
activities !!!!!!
OK you may argue that not all activities are relevant for a target
language but anyway, it's not the solution.

What you may what to use is gcompris_edit to select a bunch of activity
you want to use in a target language. This way it's easy to find your
way. Also with the icons, it's easy to find an activity even if you
cannot read the menu.