[gcompris-devel] release 5.0 in the way.

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Sun Feb 1 11:04:17 UTC 2004

Le dim 01/02/2004 à 18:40, Jim Rich a écrit :
> Richard June wrote:
>
> Friends,
>
> This week I will be installing my second K12LTSP server and this time it
> will be without Gcompris.  There are two programs that I had considered
> essential, LTSP (the server software) and Gcompris.  The installation will
> take place without Gcompris!  A third server HAS to be ready by August 2004.
> I have volunteered to do all of this as time, talent and funds permit (very
> little of each).
>
> What I am asking for is an rpm (read installation method) of Gcompris that
> will install on rh9 and fc1 that will work in the LTSP client server
> environment. If extra files are required for the install then please list
> them and the source of these files.   And finally provide detailed
> instructions for the installation.

It's clear that I personnaly don't have any knowledge in LTSP, I don't
use rh and fc. It's imposible to provide packages for everyone's
prefered distrib. More, it's the job of the packagers not developpers.
Mandrake and Debian are making a good jod here regarding gcompris.
To install on debian => apt-get gcompris
To instal on Mandrake => urpmi gcompris

I develop on Mandrake 9.2 now so the provided package will work smooth
on it.
So if your distribution does not provide a package for gcompris, don't
complain to us, complain to your distribution. Explain them why gcompris
is important and make the necessary to be sure gcompris is in their
'well maintained' packages.

> I know this sounds like a give me, give me, give me type of request but I
> have tried very hard to install a working Gcompris.  I gave up because the
> client cannot run the Gcompris due to segmentation faults.

Perhaps we can help you at this stage. Did you try without the sound
(gcompris -m). What are the messages in the console.

> When I try to
> recompile I get libgnome---.2.0 type of errors the wrong libassetml and
> missing libgnomecanvas errors the and on and on etc.  It is not the problem
> of K12LTSP because ALL of the other programs work on the clients.
>
> I am not looking for help for the second server (it has been committed).
> What I am looking forward to a solid, working and all inclusive version of
> Gcompris (5.0 ?) for the third server.
>
> Complain Complain Complain! What can I do?
> 1.  I will do the best I can to learn how to use CVS to test Gcompris code
> and make reliable observations and comments (good or bad).

Great.

> 2.  I will be available to test any version that Richard builds.

That's great that Richard provide packages here. Does it works for you?

> 3.  My test environment will be (assuming my rh9 and fc1 distros are stable)
> a K12LTSP install on a dual 1K Pentium III processors (SMP), 2GB ram and
> 40GB IDE hd.  My commit date for this server is August 2004 so I have to be
> hardened by then.
>
> I think it is time to make sure that the car has a reliable engine and stop
> adding chrome to a car that has to be parked in the driveway.
>
> In all sincerity I want to see Gcompris succeeds so that people will say
> "The only program need is Gcompris for the young kids".

So we are. I don't completly understand your point. I know there is
still some bugs here and there. But we (hum mostly I) do my best to make
gcompris continues to improve in term of quality but also quantity.

I sincerely can't do more. Perhaps it's time for others to wake up and
help. If you expect a rock solid gcompris, we need more developpers
onboard tracking and fixing bugs.