[gcompris-devel] release 5.0 in the way.

Jim Rich azrich at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 1 09:38:14 UTC 2004

Richard June wrote:

>I'll break it out in the fc1 and rh9 pkgs I've built

>On Saturday 31 January 2004 11:55 am, Jos=E9 JORGE wrote:
> Em S=E1bado, 31 de Janeiro de 2004 15:58, o Bruno Coudoin escreveu:
> > I am working on the release of a new version of gcompris called 5.0
> >
> > The major number increase for those who ask comes from the GTK port.
> >
> > So starting at gcompris 5.x, there is no more need for gnome. Well not
> > 100% because the gcompris_edit tool still uses gnome. I'll appreciate if
> > somebody can port it to gtk.
> > We could rewrite it in python but it rely on the gcompris core parsing
> > for the xml menus. So we may need some work to do that or reimplement
> > the parsing in python which should be trivial.
> >
> > We have not made any new release for a while. This is good to put in our
> > users hand the latest version before the freedem.
> >
> > Bruno.
>
> Please make a separate rpm package for gcompris-edit, to allow end-users =
> install the core without gnome!
> Jos=E9

Friends,

This week I will be installing my second K12LTSP server and this time it
will be without Gcompris.  There are two programs that I had considered
essential, LTSP (the server software) and Gcompris.  The installation will
take place without Gcompris!  A third server HAS to be ready by August 2004.
I have volunteered to do all of this as time, talent and funds permit (very
little of each).

What I am asking for is an rpm (read installation method) of Gcompris that
will install on rh9 and fc1 that will work in the LTSP client server
environment. If extra files are required for the install then please list
them and the source of these files.   And finally provide detailed
instructions for the installation.

I know this sounds like a give me, give me, give me type of request but I
have tried very hard to install a working Gcompris.  I gave up because the
client cannot run the Gcompris due to segmentation faults. When I try to
recompile I get libgnome---.2.0 type of errors the wrong libassetml and
missing libgnomecanvas errors the and on and on etc.  It is not the problem
of K12LTSP because ALL of the other programs work on the clients.

I am not looking for help for the second server (it has been committed).
What I am looking forward to a solid, working and all inclusive version of
Gcompris (5.0 ?) for the third server.

Complain Complain Complain! What can I do?
1.  I will do the best I can to learn how to use CVS to test Gcompris code
and make reliable observations and comments (good or bad).
2.  I will be available to test any version that Richard builds.
3.  My test environment will be (assuming my rh9 and fc1 distros are stable)
a K12LTSP install on a dual 1K Pentium III processors (SMP), 2GB ram and
40GB IDE hd.  My commit date for this server is August 2004 so I have to be
hardened by then.

I think it is time to make sure that the car has a reliable engine and stop
adding chrome to a car that has to be parked in the driveway.

In all sincerity I want to see Gcompris succeeds so that people will say
"The only program need is Gcompris for the young kids".

Thanks for the chance to vent

Jim Rich