[gcompris-devel] Version Windows

bcoudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Tue Apr 27 05:20:43 UTC 2004

Le mar 27/04/2004 à 13:59, Christof Petig a écrit :
> bcoudoin schrieb:
> >>- The build environment might be a bonus of the CD.
> >>

> > Why not. Good idea.
> >
> > For now, the first version will not include python nor the python
> > activities. It's enough work and content like this.
>
> I promise to help porting python to windows. The only price would be a
> free cross build environment license (aka send me a tarball once you are
> ready and I have time left).

Thanks a lot. The last big issue I have is with the gnomecanvas. I got a
binary version that works fine but searches a fixed path library
(intl.dll). This lib comes with gtk runtime.
I need to compile it again and hopefully it will work.
As soon as I get this, I'll find a way to get the source code to you.

> >>PS: IMHO 5€ would be really cheap (no real incentive to spread private
> >>copies), 10€ would be perfect (e.g. as a present) and I would only pay
> >>20€ if it includes the build environment or other extras [Like a good
> >>book(let) describing to code python activities]. Perhaps a
> >>classroom/school order at <=5€/pc would make good sense. Add to that
> >>price if it contains printed documentation. Perhaps it makes even sense
> >>to put the CD as an extra into a book. But that's simply my feeling of it.
> >>

> > I am in the same price range. Perhaps 15€. For a classroom price, I am
> > not sure what to do there is no reason for a classroom to pay several
> > time. It's not a single computer license. In the other hand, 15€ may be
> > too 'cheap' for a classroom to justify a buy !!.
> > I may create a classroom product for 50€ with nothing more than my best
> > wishes (or let's say, a better support).
>
> The classroom bundle would mean a collected order: The teacher asks how
> many pupils do want a version for at home and buys that many copies at
> once (this only makes sense for physical CDs). Perhaps one version is
> free for the teacher/school. A lot of books are sold this way.

Nice idea. Not sure it works in other country. In France I never saw
this happen.

> >>PPS: Perhaps it makes sense to restrict demo to one (or two) languages.
> >>

> > I don't agree. I don't see why some country would have an advantage
> > here. It doesn't cost me more to provide the best locale I have.
>
> This was just a proposal for an added value if you plan to include more
> activities in the trial version.

I really prefer to use the number of activity rather than the locale.