[gcompris-devel] Version Windows

Yves Combe yves at ycombe.net
Tue Apr 27 01:20:21 UTC 2004

Hello Bruno,

Bruno Coudoin wrote:
> During this week-end event Libr'east in Paris, I announced the future
> windows version of gcompris.
That's a good idea.

> I also announced that the Windows version will not be available as a a
> free download.
>
> To be clear, gcompris will stay GPL as today, including the Windows
> version but to get the windows binary, users will have to pay a fee.
This is the case for other software, like dansguardian. This is not a
problem regarding the GPL or the liberty of the program itself.

Probably you will have to think about:
- the price. Schools are often with small amount of cash.
- make that clair it's possible to install it on all the machine of a
school, once the binary is bought.

> There will also be a gratis binary with only 5 to 10 activities
> available on sourceforge.
Good. we could have this version in windows cd like allegetice.

> The overall plan for gcompris has always been to promote GNU/Linux.
> Having Windows users to pay keeps incentives for users to moves allong
> and format their C:, install GNU/Linux.
>
> Now people prisoners in the Windows world have the oportunity to finance
> the creation of freedom alternatives.
>
> Hope nobody here take it bad.
Well.
I understand the situation, and i like the idea to make windows users
finance free software.

 > Feel free to discuss this option,
But think about the actual situation in country like France. People with
small children and teachers knows software like adi or adibou. The risk
is they will not buy gcompris if only a very limited version is
available, and they will prefer buy commercial but well-known software.

What about propose free binary of the actual version with all, or almost
all, and just non free of new activity?

> especially if you see a better option for gcompris that fits in it's
> goal has explained above.
Another option for you is to say: "i don't want my program run on a non
free platform."

--
yves