[gcompris-devel] Nitpicking on GCompris 4.0pre1

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Thu Sep 25 18:03:05 UTC 2003

Le ven 19/09/2003 à 08:24, Ronny Standtke a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I tested gcompris 4.0pre1 and in contrast to previous reseases I find it very
> nice and stable. But as the perfectionist I am I still have some nitpicking
> to do. So here is my list of open issues:
>
> 1. Memory Game with images
>  If you win this board by playing through all levels tux is leaving with the
>  ambulance. Normally the ambulance in gcompris is a symbol of a lost game.

It's fixed in the CVS, it was not a bug specific to memory but could
happen anywhare. The end of board bonus is random and could include the
ambulance. It's no more the case, the ambulance must be explicitly
called by the board coder now.

> 2. Language Configuration
>  - for Catalan the Canadian flag is shown
Fixed. Why country code and language code do not match !!!
ca = catalan in language code
ca = canadian in country code
Now canadian flags is removed.

>  - the flag for Czech and Polish is missing
Fixed

>  - the language list is not sorted accordingly to the active language
Can't fix that. Way too complex to implements. The list is static and
sorted by language iso code.

> BTW: What is the meaning of the red plus sign at the flags?
It means this language is not supported by your GNU/Linux system.
If you run
locale -a
it gives you the list of supported locale.
on mandrake you can add a locale using
urpmi locales-fr
If anybody can come up with a better icon, I take it.

> 3. Speaker icon "misuse"
>  In the following cases a speaker icon is used where it does not make sense.
>  Some other icons should be drawn.
>  - in the railroad board the speaker icon is used for showing the train again
>  - in the 3D Maze board it is used for switching between 2D and 3D
>  - in the sliding block puzzle game it is used for resetting the game

On this, is anybody able to create a more generic "repeat" icon for us ?

> 4. Soundless mode
>  If you configure gcompris to run without sound output the following things
>  are to be done:
>  - the "Click on a letter" board should be disabled/hidden

We already have the redcross on the board icon. I agree that this icon
is not enought meaningfull. I am working on a better message in this
board like install the correct assetml-voice-alphabet package and enable
the sound

>  - the speaker icon in the "Colors" board should be removed

Well, it's the repeat. If you have the color voices, you may want to re
ear it.

> If this things are fixed I will provide gcompris with a "Verified High Quality
> Software" sticker :-)

Excellent, we are on track for the excelence ;)