[gcompris-devel] chess position to complete

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Sat Oct 25 08:14:27 UTC 2003

Absolutly no programming or really poor programming skill are required.
Just look at the file src/boards/chess_position.c.
For example:
	pos->square [E1] = WK;
Means put a White King on E1. You need more chess experience than
programming.

in set_initial_movelearn() this set the complete position for the level
2.
-----
	case 2:
		/* The white pieces */
		pos->square [E1] = WK;
		pos->square [G1] = WQ;

		/* The black pieces */
		pos->square [A1] = BK;
		pos->square [E7] = BP;

		/* The kings */
		pos->priv->wk_square = E1;
		pos->priv->bk_square = A1;
		break;
-----
So you also need to put the kings in another structure named
pos->priv->wk_square and pos->priv->bk_square for white king and black
king. Just point to the Coord of where you did put them.

In chess_makros.h you will find the definition of all the pieces:
#define WP		-	 /*  white pawn   */
#define WN		-	 /*  white knight */
#define WB		-	 /*  white bishop */
#define WR		-	 /*  white rook   */
#define WQ		-	 /*  white queen  */
#define WK		-	 /*  white king   */
#define BP		-	 /*  black pawn   */
#define BN		-	 /*  black knight */
#define BB		-	 /*  black bishop */
#define BR		-	 /*  black rook   */
#define BQ		-	 /*  black queen  */
#define BK		-	 /*  black king	  */

I erased the exact value cause they are not usefull for you.

You must provide a good chess initial board definition in
initial_partyend (let the kid practice party end) and initial_move_learn
(let them move some piece).

Bruno.