[gcompris-devel] Release gcompris4.0PRE3

rami rami.aubourg at ifrance.com
Tue Oct 14 08:29:01 UTC 2003

> > I can commit the libao bug as solved, then, on bugzilla :-)?

> Not yet, I'd like to see how it works for others first. Then, let's
> close it after 4.0PRE4

OK. Will you do it or will I? I haven't quite figured out yet what my
responsabilities exatly are in bugzilla, and don't want to step on your
feet ;-).

> > >From what I've tested on my configuration with SuSE 8.2, there is still
> > a small glitch that reminds of the old gnomecanvas refresh bug.
> > >From time to time, when coming back to the main menu, all of the icons
> > at the bottom are not displayed. Most notably the shutdown icon.
> > However, if you remember where it is, you can click on it to quit
> > gcompris. I can't reproduce the pattern to get this bug yet. It just
> > happens after returning to the main menu from time to time.
> >
> Yep, I also observ that from time to time. We could add a bad workaround
> by binding the key F5 to refresh (or another) ?

Just a proposition, if it's possible: mapping <ESC> key to quit gcompris
with a confirmation message? It's the most natural for the users, unless
it's already taken. Since the default for gcompris is to run in full
window mode, the first-time users who encouter this problem can be a bit
puzzled. At least my reflex was to ctrl-alt-F2 and pkill -9 gcompris the
first time.

It seems that from time to time there's a refresh problem of the bottom
menu after opening a navigator to view the gcompris documentation, too.
So implementing a refresh key would be a good idea, too.

> > Also, it seems I have made a mistake when doing the finnish translation.
> > When doing a line feed in the fi.po file, it seems that you have to use
> > a special character like \n. (If one of the translators can confirm
> > that, I'd be grateful). A normal line feed when using kbabel doesn't
> > seem to do it. At least, in the finnish translation, when there are
> > multiple lines, everything is displayed on one line, and the end of the
> > line is thus unreadable since it's out of bounds. Can you give me until
> > the end of the week to correct that before releasing PRE4?
> >
> Yes, I did the same. To fix that quick, I open the .po in emacs or any
> editor, size the window width to a one line 'regular' width.
> Then scroll and split all the lines that wraps.
> BTW, emacs insert a \n when you put the translation on 2 lines.
> I just added this explain this in the CPS FAQ.

OK, thanks for the clue. I'll do that before the end of the week. I'll
put a few new translations in it, too.

> > As for libssl and libcrypto, is there no way to drop these dependencies
> > if they are not used?  Or make them less strict? Even though there's a
> > workaround, it can be frustrating for new users on older platforms. Of
> > course, if it depends on the Gnome libraries, I understand it doesn't
> > depend on you.
> >
> This should be investigated. Any taker. I update the TODO list to
> something related:
> * Dynamic screen resolution change (using Xrender)
> * Remove the Gnome dependancy to use GTK only. The gnomecanvas itself do
>   not require gnome. Less dependancy less install issues. Also could
>   make porting easier.

Excellent idea. Sorry I can't take that up, though.

Amicalement,

Rami