[gcompris-devel] Release gcompris4.0PRE3

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Tue Oct 14 06:55:11 UTC 2003

Le mar 14/10/2003 à 14:34, rami a écrit :
> Le mar 14/10/2003 à 13:35, Bruno Coudoin a écrit :
> > Yes, I am testing on Mandrake 9.1. I also tested it on Mandrake 9.2.
> > I found that the problem with the sound comes from libao that fails and
> > makes gcompris crash.
> > It is possible to configure /etc/libao.conf and put in
> > default_driver=esd
> > then gcompris works on mandrake 9.2. This may also save people on other
> > distrib/config.
> > Last, I make a change in the CVS so that gcompris request libao with esd
> > and nothing else. I checked and it now makes gcompris works 'out of the
> > box' on Mandrake 9.2. I hope there is no side effect. we will test this
> > in PRE4.
> >
> > Other thinks, I don't use ssl and crypto directly in gcompris. This
> > dependencies comes from the gnome libraries I suppose.
> >
> > I am confident this latest sound change makes gcompris ready for 4.0
> > final. And you ?
> >
> > Bruno.
>
> Hello, Bruno,
>
> I can commit the libao bug as solved, then, on bugzilla :-)?
> Sorry for not having done my job of reproducing the bug, but I haven't
> got my MDK9.2 cd's yet. They should arrive at the end of the month, I
> believe.

Not yet, I'd like to see how it works for others first. Then, let's
close it after 4.0PRE4

> >From what I've tested on my configuration with SuSE 8.2, there is still
> a small glitch that reminds of the old gnomecanvas refresh bug.
> >From time to time, when coming back to the main menu, all of the icons
> at the bottom are not displayed. Most notably the shutdown icon.
> However, if you remember where it is, you can click on it to quit
> gcompris. I can't reproduce the pattern to get this bug yet. It just
> happens after returning to the main menu from time to time.

Yep, I also observ that from time to time. We could add a bad workaround
by binding the key F5 to refresh (or another) ?

> Also, it seems I have made a mistake when doing the finnish translation.
> When doing a line feed in the fi.po file, it seems that you have to use
> a special character like \n. (If one of the translators can confirm
> that, I'd be grateful). A normal line feed when using kbabel doesn't
> seem to do it. At least, in the finnish translation, when there are
> multiple lines, everything is displayed on one line, and the end of the
> line is thus unreadable since it's out of bounds. Can you give me until
> the end of the week to correct that before releasing PRE4?

Yes, I did the same. To fix that quick, I open the .po in emacs or any
editor, size the window width to a one line 'regular' width.
Then scroll and split all the lines that wraps.
BTW, emacs insert a \n when you put the translation on 2 lines.
I just added this explain this in the CPS FAQ.

> As for libssl and libcrypto, is there no way to drop these dependencies
> if they are not used?  Or make them less strict? Even though there's a
> workaround, it can be frustrating for new users on older platforms. Of
> course, if it depends on the Gnome libraries, I understand it doesn't
> depend on you.

This should be investigated. Any taker. I update the TODO list to
something related:
* Dynamic screen resolution change (using Xrender)
* Remove the Gnome dependancy to use GTK only. The gnomecanvas itself do
  not require gnome. Less dependancy less install issues. Also could
  make porting easier.