[gcompris-devel] Release gcompris4.0PRE3

rami rami.aubourg at ifrance.com
Tue Oct 14 05:40:06 UTC 2003

Le mar 14/10/2003 à 13:35, Bruno Coudoin a écrit :
> Yes, I am testing on Mandrake 9.1. I also tested it on Mandrake 9.2.
> I found that the problem with the sound comes from libao that fails and
> makes gcompris crash.
> It is possible to configure /etc/libao.conf and put in
> default_driver=esd
> then gcompris works on mandrake 9.2. This may also save people on other
> distrib/config.
> Last, I make a change in the CVS so that gcompris request libao with esd
> and nothing else. I checked and it now makes gcompris works 'out of the
> box' on Mandrake 9.2. I hope there is no side effect. we will test this
> in PRE4.
>
> Other thinks, I don't use ssl and crypto directly in gcompris. This
> dependencies comes from the gnome libraries I suppose.
>
> I am confident this latest sound change makes gcompris ready for 4.0
> final. And you ?
>
> Bruno.

Hello, Bruno,

I can commit the libao bug as solved, then, on bugzilla :-)?
Sorry for not having done my job of reproducing the bug, but I haven't
got my MDK9.2 cd's yet. They should arrive at the end of the month, I
believe.

>From what I've tested on my configuration with SuSE 8.2, there is still
a small glitch that reminds of the old gnomecanvas refresh bug.
>From time to time, when coming back to the main menu, all of the icons
at the bottom are not displayed. Most notably the shutdown icon.
However, if you remember where it is, you can click on it to quit
gcompris. I can't reproduce the pattern to get this bug yet. It just
happens after returning to the main menu from time to time.

Also, it seems I have made a mistake when doing the finnish translation.
When doing a line feed in the fi.po file, it seems that you have to use
a special character like \n. (If one of the translators can confirm
that, I'd be grateful). A normal line feed when using kbabel doesn't
seem to do it. At least, in the finnish translation, when there are
multiple lines, everything is displayed on one line, and the end of the
line is thus unreadable since it's out of bounds. Can you give me until
the end of the week to correct that before releasing PRE4?

As for libssl and libcrypto, is there no way to drop these dependencies
if they are not used?  Or make them less strict? Even though there's a
workaround, it can be frustrating for new users on older platforms. Of
course, if it depends on the Gnome libraries, I understand it doesn't
depend on you.

Amicalement,

Rami