[gcompris-devel] Python programming in gcompris

Mark Van den Borre mark at markvdb.be
Thu Oct 9 04:24:01 UTC 2003

Op do 09-10-2003, om 12:52 schreef Bruno Coudoin:
> > > Do you have an idea of board ?
> > A musical memory game maybe...
> >
> At some time I investigated the use of midi for that but midi support is
> problematic on Linux. It seem to depends on the user soundcard and a
> bunch of external packages. Finally I decided that converting audio midi
> to ogg first would to the job.
I was planning to use ogg too. But looking at the future... What about
timidity for software midi playback? No special devices or hardware
support needed. Agreed, an extra dependency, but smaller files could
make up for that.
http://www.onicos.com/staff/iz/timidity/

One small example app:
http://oomadness.tuxfamily.org/fr/songwrite/index.html

> I can't remember who (and I lost it) put I got a contribution with midi
> files.
> What kind of sounds to you plan to use? I think it could use sound,
> simple melody or random melody depending on the game level.
I'm a musician myself, so that part won't constitute much of a problem.
It's for coding that I'll need a very good example/tutorial.

Mark

P.S. I was your FOSDEM conference room assistant last february.
--
Mark Van den Borre
Noormannenstraat 113