[gcompris-devel] Generic Reporting tool at classroom level

stasZ stas at linux.isbeter.nl
Wed Nov 12 02:13:08 UTC 2003

On 2003.11.12 02:59, Bruno Coudoin wrote:

> I can't go in detail through your mail but I agree and I hope we can
> again work on this with childsplay.
>
> Just a note, I just saw a tool called moodss.It's a generic reporting
> tool. That needs more study but maybe we could based our report on
> it.
> http://jfontain.free.fr/moodss/
It's a really complete and big app, but i think it's a bit of overkill
for our
purpose, not to mention all the extra dependencies.

A quick idea;
A simple reporting app in python with a tkinter (standard python)
gui.
This app does nothing more then put a XML file which contains
the data from gcompris/childsplay in a report like form and send
it by mail (optional)
The app would be a command line tool which can be called with
the XML as the argument (exec*/os.system).
The simple gui would be something to view the formatted XML in.

This approach would be platform independent and has only Python
as the dependency which is standard on the most Linux systems.

This is in a nutshell my approach in childsplay :-)

Stas Z

/ Sin lies only in hurting other people   \
| unnecessarily. All other "sins" are     |
| invented nonsense. (Hurting yourself is |
| not sinful -- just stupid).             |
\ -- Lazarus Long                         /
        \   ^__^
                ||----w |
                ||     ||