[gcompris-devel] Software Quality

Ronny Standtke Ronny.Standtke at gmx.de
Fri Dec 5 09:34:02 UTC 2003

Hi again,

after a short period of suspension from gcompris I gave the new gcompris-4.2 a
test run. I found immediately the following problems:

1. Localization crash

When starting several boards an error message similar to the following appears
on the terminal:

** (gcompris:4419): WARNING **: [Invalid UTF-8] Failed to set requested locale
E got (null)

The gcompris (line?) number varies from board to board. When this error occurs
the localization of gcompris just "crashes". All the following boards are in
English. (Normally I use the German localization.) This problem occured with
the following boards: imagename, geography, babyshapes, babymatch, paintings,
scalesboard and doubleentry.

2. Clowns face and handbook

When you open the handbook while the clowns face is shown (sad or glad) the
program ignores the handbook "dialog" and just goes on. The program paints
"over" the handbook dialog and you can even click on items behind the
handbook dialog. The following boards are affected: imageid, colors,
read_colors, advanced_colors, leftright, paratrooper, erase, fifteen, hanoi,
algebra_by, algebra_minus, algebra_plus, enumerate, target, reversecount,
money and algebra_guesscount.

3. Nonmodal handbook dialog

(Somewhat related to bug #2 this bug is independend of the clowns face.) If
you open the handbook dialog in some boards you can still use the board in
the background as if there was no open handbook dialog. The following boards
are affected: babyshapes, paintings, scalesboard, doubleentry, maze and
railroad.

Sorry - but in this shape gcompris is still no option for the school I am
supervising. I hope I can deploy gcompris somewhen after all these issues are
debugged. I will do the best I can and keep on hammering on further gcompris
releases :-)

Greetings

Ronny

PS: It's now almost a year I'm waiting for a "stable" gcompris :-(