[gcompris-devel] Software Quality

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Sat Dec 6 16:02:01 UTC 2003

Le ven 05/12/2003 à 18:33, Ronny Standtke a écrit :
> Hi again,
>
> after a short period of suspension from gcompris I gave the new gcompris-4.2 a
> test run. I found immediately the following problems:
>
> 1. Localization crash
>
> When starting several boards an error message similar to the following appears
> on the terminal:
>
> ** (gcompris:4419): WARNING **: [Invalid UTF-8] Failed to set requested locale
> E got (null)
>
> The gcompris (line?) number varies from board to board. When this error occurs
> the localization of gcompris just "crashes". All the following boards are in
> English. (Normally I use the German localization.) This problem occured with
> the following boards: imagename, geography, babyshapes, babymatch, paintings,
> scalesboard and doubleentry.

You are correct, there is a bug here. You can get the fix in the cvs.
It's in the file src/boards/shapegame.c

BTW, the number 4419 in your case is not the line but the process
number.

> 2. Clowns face and handbook
>
> When you open the handbook while the clowns face is shown (sad or glad) the
> program ignores the handbook "dialog" and just goes on. The program paints
> "over" the handbook dialog and you can even click on items behind the
> handbook dialog. The following boards are affected: imageid, colors,
> read_colors, advanced_colors, leftright, paratrooper, erase, fifteen, hanoi,
> algebra_by, algebra_minus, algebra_plus, enumerate, target, reversecount,
> money and algebra_guesscount.

Correct, I fixed this by hiding the bar while the clown is shown.
You can get the fix in the cvs in file src/boards/shapegame.c

> 3. Nonmodal handbook dialog
>
> (Somewhat related to bug #2 this bug is independend of the clowns face.) If
> you open the handbook dialog in some boards you can still use the board in
> the background as if there was no open handbook dialog. The following boards
> are affected: babyshapes, paintings, scalesboard, doubleentry, maze and
> railroad.

It's fixed get draw.c maze.c and railroad.c in src/boards.

> Sorry - but in this shape gcompris is still no option for the school I am
> supervising. I hope I can deploy gcompris somewhen after all these issues are
> debugged. I will do the best I can and keep on hammering on further gcompris
> releases :-)

I agree that the first bug were you loose your locale is critical but
for the other, there is a lot of chance that this won't affect your
users and if it does, it's minor.

I won't make a new release of this code even if it really should be a
4.3 release.

I am working on the gtk port. I already have a running gcompris without
gnome (gtk only). It saves close to 20 library dependancies in the 'ldd
gcompris' and 50% memory footprint.

I'll probably make a release of a 5.0 release free of gnome later next
week.

Ronny, thanks for your feedback. It seems few are testing gcompris as
well as you do. I hope you will be abble to recompile gcompris and let
the kids start to work with.