[gcompris-devel] gcompris-3.2 and NetBSD

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Fri Aug 29 16:22:01 UTC 2003

On 30 Aug 2003, Bruno Coudoin wrote:

> BTW, to you plan to use it for a school or home ?

Home.

> > ** (gcompris:29116): WARNING **: Couldn't open music dir:
> > /usr/pkg/share/gcompris/boards/music/background
> > (END)
> >
> That's normal but I have to inform you that there is a bug in gcompris
> 3.2 that makes it loop indefinitly is there is no .ogg vorbis audio in
> this directory. You can create this dir and put an ogg there to see if
> it helps.

I made the directory and placed an ogg file there.

I started gcompris, and then went to the "ABC" activity menu.

Then gcompris hung. My output showed that ogg vorbis repeatedly was
attempting to play the test.ogg from that boards/music/background
directory.

The duration said 7.07 seconds but the message repeated 41 times in
about one second. So ogg vorbis failed and reported 47 times:

  Error unable to find a usable audio output device (-1)

Finally gcompris gave up and said:

cannot open /usr/pkg/share/gcompris/boards/music/background/test.ogg

That was output 10723 times! Until I suspended gcompris with CTRL-Z at the
shell.

Should I not used 3.2 version? I haven't checked yet, but is there a
daily tarball of the latest CVS?

> > Sometimes, when it hangs it won't redraw its screen. But the big blue
> > pointer still works.
> >
> Yep, probably a gnome-canvas bug that we rely on.
> The gnome cvs include a fixed libgnomecanvas version.

Do you have any specifics on this bug?

Any URLs? Or patches?

I can maybe provide the fix to NetBSD's pkgsrc for the libgnomecanvas
package. (I have libgnomecanvas-2.2.1nb1.)

> >  ** (gcompris:29179): WARNING **: Can't find sound j
> >

> > I have it at /usr/pkg/share/gcompris/boards/sounds/en/j.ogg
> > (and ogg123 can play it fine). I need to troubleshoot why it doesn't see
> > it. No looking at ktrace info, I see
> > /usr/pkg/share/gcompris/boards/sounds/C//j.ogg,
> > /usr/pkg/share/gcompris/boards/music/j.ogg and
> > /usr/pkg/share/gcompris/boards/sounds/j.ogg (without the "en" directory).
> >
> That's not normal. It is a locale issue. gcompris get 'C' as the locale.
> I suggest you to use the configuration menu in gcompris and set your
> locale to english. It will force gcompris to use the correct locale.
>
> I checked the code and I suspect the code and I am afraid there is some
> differences between GNU/Linux and BSD.
> I will need you help there.

I can help. Let me know where to start looking.

> When you run gcompris, the first line says in which locale it runs.

It says:

gcompris_set_locale requested en_US.UTF-8 got C/en_US.UTF-8/C/C/C/en_US.UTF-8

> > Also, the tar used to install the boards doesn't seem to be portable:
> >
> > tar: can't add file --exclude : No such file or directory
> > tar: can't add file *.in : No such file or directory

> Not sure where the problem is. I am using 1.13.25 but I don't use much
> of it. The problem is probably elsewhere.

The problem is that many versions of tar don't use the --exclude switch.

Thanks,

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/