[gcompris-devel] gcompris-3.2 and NetBSD

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Fri Aug 29 15:39:02 UTC 2003

I try do to my best to help you there but some problems are strange. You
will have to put your hands in gcompris if you want to succeed, I don't
do BSD.

BTW, to you plan to use it for a school or home ?

Bruno.

Le ven 29/08/2003 à 05:50, Jeremy C. Reed a écrit :
> Does anyone use gcompris 3.2 with NetBSD?
>
> I am working on updating the gcompris included with the NetBSD packages
> collection. (It is pkgsrc which also works with Linux, Darwin OS, FreeBSD,
> Solaris, HP-UX, Irix, and others. I will be testing gcompris primarily
> under NetBSD and Linux.)

Good news.

> First, I didn't see any documentation on the installation. For example,
> I was unclear on what downloads to use. Later I realized that gcompris-3.2
> and gcompris-core-3.2 are the same other than some add-on sounds. Then I
> was wondering if I need gcompris-sounds-en-1.0 also. But then I figured
> that that is already included in gcompris-3.2.

You are correct, it's not very clear. I just created a FAQ entry that
explains it all.

> When the program first starts it plays some music and I can move the
> pointer around at some icons. Some text pops up showing about the icons. A
> few moments later, it appears to hang. I can press CTRL-Z (but CTRL-C) to
> suspend at command line. I can kill it with -TERM.
>
> The question mark icons works. (But hung before I clicked okay.)
>
> The toolbox icon works. I was able to change from full screen. (I wasn't
> sure what the night time picture icon meant, but I guess it is exit.)

Yes, it's exit

> When it starts up, it loads many lib*.so plugins.
>
> The only warnings:
> ** (gcompris:29116): WARNING **: No plugin library found for board type
> 'pythonboard', requested by '/usr/pkg/share/gcompris/boards/pythontest.xml'

That's normal, we introduced python plugin capability but for now we
have no content to show yet.

> ** (gcompris:29116): WARNING **: Couldn't open music dir:
> /usr/pkg/share/gcompris/boards/music/background
> (END)

That's normal but I have to inform you that there is a bug in gcompris
3.2 that makes it loop indefinitly is there is no .ogg vorbis audio in
this directory. You can create this dir and put an ogg there to see if
it helps.

> Sometimes, when it hangs it won't redraw its screen. But the big blue
> pointer still works.

Yep, probably a gnome-canvas bug that we rely on.
The gnome cvs include a fixed libgnomecanvas version.

> I chose to play an alphabet activity (the first one).
>
> It hung after I tried to click some icons. When I opened and X client over
> it and then went back to gcompris, parts of the gcompris window would no
> redraw.

canvas bug.

> The gcompris output said:
>
>  ... get_next_sound_to_play : click_on_letter
>
>  ** (gcompris:29179): WARNING **: Can't find sound click_on_letter
>  ... get_next_sound_to_play : j
>
>  ** (gcompris:29179): WARNING **: Can't find sound j
>

> I have it at /usr/pkg/share/gcompris/boards/sounds/en/j.ogg
> (and ogg123 can play it fine). I need to troubleshoot why it doesn't see
> it. No looking at ktrace info, I see
> /usr/pkg/share/gcompris/boards/sounds/C//j.ogg,
> /usr/pkg/share/gcompris/boards/music/j.ogg and
> /usr/pkg/share/gcompris/boards/sounds/j.ogg (without the "en" directory).

That's not normal. It is a locale issue. gcompris get 'C' as the locale.
I suggest you to use the configuration menu in gcompris and set your
locale to english. It will force gcompris to use the correct locale.

I checked the code and I suspect the code and I am afraid there is some
differences between GNU/Linux and BSD.
I will need you help there.

When you run gcompris, the first line says in which locale it runs.

> [...]
> screen wouldn't redraw.
>
> This time CTRL-C triggered:
>
>  ** (gcompris:29179): WARNING **: gcompris got the SIGINT signal, starting
>  exit procedure
>  menu_start section=/
>
>  ** (gcompris:29179): WARNING **: No plugin library found for board type
>  'pythonboard', requested by
>  '/usr/pkg/share/gcompris/boards/pythontest.xml'
>

> I am using NetBSD/i386 1.6.1_STABLE. This is what it is using:
>
> GConf2>=2.2.0nb2
> ORBit2>=2.6.0nb3
> Xft2>=2.1nb1
> atk>=1.2.2nb2
> bonobo-activation>=2.1.1nb2
> cdparanoia>=3.0
> docbook>=4.2
> esound>=0.2.18
> esound>=0.2.26
> expat>=1.95.2
> fam>=2.6.7
> fontconfig>=2.1nb1
> freetype2>=2.0.9
> freetype2>=2.1.3
> glib2>=2.2.2nb1
> gnome-mime-data>=2.2.0nb3
> gnome-vfs2>=2.2.4nb3
> gnome2-dirs>=1.0
> gnome2-dirs>=1.1
> gnome2-dirs>=1.2
> gtk2+>=2.2.2nb2
> iso8879>=1986
> jpeg-6b
> libIDL>=0.8.0nb2
> libao>=0.8.3
> libart2>=2.3.10nb1
> libaudiofile>=0.2.1
> libbonobo>=2.2.0nb2
> libbonoboui>=2.2.0.1nb3
> libglade2>=2.0.1nb9
> libgnome>=2.2.3nb1
> libgnomecanvas>=2.2.1nb1
> libgnomeui>=2.2.2nb1
> libiconv>=1.9.1
> libogg>=1.0.0.8
> libogg>=20030520
> libvorbis>=1.0.0.8
> libxml2>=2.5.8nb1
> libxslt>=1.0.31nb1
> linc>=1.0.1nb2
> pango>=1.2.3nb1
> perl>=5.0
> png>=1.2.4
> popt>=1.7nb2
> pth>=2.0.0
> python22>=2.2
> tiff>=3.5.4
> xmlcatmgr>=0.2
>

> Anyone use gcompris under NetBSD?
>

> Also, the tar used to install the boards doesn't seem to be portable:
>
> tar: can't add file --exclude : No such file or directory
> tar: can't add file *.in : No such file or directory
> tar: can't add file --exclude : No such file or directory
> tar: can't add file *~ : No such file or directory
> tar: can't add file --exclude : No such file or directory
> tar: can't add file --exclude : No such file or directory
> tar: can't add file --exclude : No such file or directory
> tar: can't add file CVS : No such file or directory
> tar: can't add file --exclude : No such file or directory
> tar: can't add file .xvpics : No such file or directory

Not sure where the problem is. I am using 1.13.25 but I don't use much
of it. The problem is probably elsewhere.

> (Maybe the distribution should not include the files if not needed; or
> pipe a "grep -E -v" inbetween to remove files from tar extraction as
> needed. )

I am not sure, I didn't put my eyes on this for years. The issue here is
that boards directory is handled very special since we have many files
and those are not included one by one in makefiles.