[gcompris-devel] gcompris-3.2 and NetBSD

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Fri Aug 29 17:40:10 UTC 2003

Le sam 30/08/2003 à 01:20, Jeremy C. Reed a écrit :
> On 30 Aug 2003, Bruno Coudoin wrote:
>
> > BTW, to you plan to use it for a school or home ?
>
> Home.
>
> > > ** (gcompris:29116): WARNING **: Couldn't open music dir:
> > > /usr/pkg/share/gcompris/boards/music/background
> > > (END)
> > >
> > That's normal but I have to inform you that there is a bug in gcompris
> > 3.2 that makes it loop indefinitly is there is no .ogg vorbis audio in
> > this directory. You can create this dir and put an ogg there to see if
> > it helps.
>
> I made the directory and placed an ogg file there.
>
> I started gcompris, and then went to the "ABC" activity menu.
>
> Then gcompris hung. My output showed that ogg vorbis repeatedly was
> attempting to play the test.ogg from that boards/music/background
> directory.
>
> The duration said 7.07 seconds but the message repeated 41 times in
> about one second. So ogg vorbis failed and reported 47 times:
>
>   Error unable to find a usable audio output device (-1)
>
> Finally gcompris gave up and said:
>
> cannot open /usr/pkg/share/gcompris/boards/music/background/test.ogg
>
> That was output 10723 times! Until I suspended gcompris with CTRL-Z at the
> shell.

OK, I suspect a ogg vorbis issue or a multi threading issue.
You seems to run a recent vobis library. I don't know where the problem
is. You will need to look at
src/gcompris/soundutil.c
src/gcompris/oggplayer.c

Do go further, you should run gcompris -m to mute it.
Fix other bugs first and go back to sounds at last (IMHO).

> Should I not used 3.2 version? I haven't checked yet, but is there a
> daily tarball of the latest CVS?

No cvs tarball. do cvs update, instructions are on the gcompris web
site, these is the gnome cvs.

> > > Sometimes, when it hangs it won't redraw its screen. But the big blue
> > > pointer still works.
> > >
> > Yep, probably a gnome-canvas bug that we rely on.
> > The gnome cvs include a fixed libgnomecanvas version.
>
> Do you have any specifics on this bug?
>
> Any URLs? Or patches?

Too late to find it all but we made many forced gnome_canvas_update all
around in gcompris to bypass the bug.
The workaround are there in 3.2 and in the CVS so it should work at 99%.
The remaining is that it can happens that the windows is not refreshed.
Can predict when/where.
There is a bugzilla open on gnome and lately, the libgnomecanvas has
been updated and I checked that it is better (not perfect).

> I can maybe provide the fix to NetBSD's pkgsrc for the libgnomecanvas
> package. (I have libgnomecanvas-2.2.1nb1.)

I add
libgnomecanvas2_0-2.2.0.1-1mdk
Until I used the cvs

> > >  ** (gcompris:29179): WARNING **: Can't find sound j
> > >

> > > I have it at /usr/pkg/share/gcompris/boards/sounds/en/j.ogg
> > > (and ogg123 can play it fine). I need to troubleshoot why it doesn't see
> > > it. No looking at ktrace info, I see
> > > /usr/pkg/share/gcompris/boards/sounds/C//j.ogg,
> > > /usr/pkg/share/gcompris/boards/music/j.ogg and
> > > /usr/pkg/share/gcompris/boards/sounds/j.ogg (without the "en" directory).
> > >
> > That's not normal. It is a locale issue. gcompris get 'C' as the locale.
> > I suggest you to use the configuration menu in gcompris and set your
> > locale to english. It will force gcompris to use the correct locale.
> >
> > I checked the code and I suspect the code and I am afraid there is some
> > differences between GNU/Linux and BSD.
> > I will need you help there.
>
> I can help. Let me know where to start looking.
>
> > When you run gcompris, the first line says in which locale it runs.
>
> It says:
>
> gcompris_set_locale requested en_US.UTF-8 got C/en_US.UTF-8/C/C/C/en_US.UTF-8

Yes, that's realy the issue. I should get en_<don't care much> because
you speak english ;)

Check
src/gcompris/properties.c around line 30
src/gcompris/gcompris.c: gcompris_get_locale() gcompris_set_locale()

Try to set another locale in gcompris configuration menu or
~/gnome2/gcompris
Which include for me:
[Preferences]
music=1
fx=0
screensize=1
timer=3
fullscreen=0
skin=pink
locale=nl_NL.UTF-8

> > > Also, the tar used to install the boards doesn't seem to be portable:
> > >
> > > tar: can't add file --exclude : No such file or directory
> > > tar: can't add file *.in : No such file or directory
>
> > Not sure where the problem is. I am using 1.13.25 but I don't use much
> > of it. The problem is probably elsewhere.
>
> The problem is that many versions of tar don't use the --exclude switch.

OK, so your grep -E -v makes sense. Can you send me a patch ?