[gcompris-devel] Re: gcompris-devel digest, Vol 1 #346 - 3 msgs

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Wed Aug 27 14:59:55 UTC 2003

Le mar 26/08/2003 à 21:33, José JORGE a écrit :
> Em Terça 26 Agosto 2003 05:22, o gcompris-devel-request at lists.sourceforge.net
> escreveu:
> > Now there will be many changes in next release of gcompris. gcompris
> > will depend on gcompris-libassetml and several assetml data files.
> >
> > gcompris-libassetml is totally independant and can be used in other
> > program. There is a gcompris-libassetml-devel with an API.
> >
> > Internaly, I was about tu support assetml loading of image and sound and
> > flat file (current case) but this maybe complex since sometimes data
> > comes from xml data files and we need more information for assetml.
> > So I am wondering if I will not move to 100% assetml to make think
> > clearer.
> >
> > Just my current though as I am progressing into this.
> >
> > If anybody want to join his ideas, your welcome (the cvs is not yet up
> > to date)
> >

> the idea is good for me, but it shouldn't mean too "complications" to add data
> for a teacher, or a newbie like me ;-)

Well, I will try to explain the difference.

Without assetml:
  create the file boards/images/myimage.png
  in src/boards/myactivity.c:
    gcompris_load_pixmap("boards/images/myimage.png");

  It's easy but not flexible, you need to know where is the file you
  want and know it exists.

With assetml:
  create the file boards/images/myimage.png
  create or update the file boards/images/gcompris_images.assetml.in
  This file includes the credits, description and category for the file
  add boards/images/gcompris_images.assetml in configure.in if it is not
  there yet
  in src/boards/myactivity.c:
     gcompris_load_pixmap_asset(dataset, category,
				mimetype, name)

  That's a little bit more complex by will allows us I hope to share our
  content and reuse the content of others.
  For example, we could reuse excellent shapes provided by tuxpaints in
  gcompris's draw activity. For example the following command will
  return the list of cars shapes from tuxpaints:
    assetml_get_asset("tuxpaint shapes", "cars", "image/png",
                      gcompris_get_locale(), NULL);

I hope it's worth the effort, time will tell.