[gcompris-devel] gcompris-3.2 and NetBSD

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Aug 28 20:52:08 UTC 2003

Does anyone use gcompris 3.2 with NetBSD?

I am working on updating the gcompris included with the NetBSD packages
collection. (It is pkgsrc which also works with Linux, Darwin OS, FreeBSD,
Solaris, HP-UX, Irix, and others. I will be testing gcompris primarily
under NetBSD and Linux.)

First, I didn't see any documentation on the installation. For example,
I was unclear on what downloads to use. Later I realized that gcompris-3.2
and gcompris-core-3.2 are the same other than some add-on sounds. Then I
was wondering if I need gcompris-sounds-en-1.0 also. But then I figured
that that is already included in gcompris-3.2.

When the program first starts it plays some music and I can move the
pointer around at some icons. Some text pops up showing about the icons. A
few moments later, it appears to hang. I can press CTRL-Z (but CTRL-C) to
suspend at command line. I can kill it with -TERM.

The question mark icons works. (But hung before I clicked okay.)

The toolbox icon works. I was able to change from full screen. (I wasn't
sure what the night time picture icon meant, but I guess it is exit.)

When it starts up, it loads many lib*.so plugins.

The only warnings:
** (gcompris:29116): WARNING **: No plugin library found for board type
'pythonboard', requested by '/usr/pkg/share/gcompris/boards/pythontest.xml'

** (gcompris:29116): WARNING **: Couldn't open music dir:
/usr/pkg/share/gcompris/boards/music/background
(END)

Sometimes, when it hangs it won't redraw its screen. But the big blue
pointer still works.

I chose to play an alphabet activity (the first one).

It hung after I tried to click some icons. When I opened and X client over
it and then went back to gcompris, parts of the gcompris window would no
redraw.

The gcompris output said:

 ... get_next_sound_to_play : click_on_letter

 ** (gcompris:29179): WARNING **: Can't find sound click_on_letter
 ... get_next_sound_to_play : j

 ** (gcompris:29179): WARNING **: Can't find sound j

I have it at /usr/pkg/share/gcompris/boards/sounds/en/j.ogg
(and ogg123 can play it fine). I need to troubleshoot why it doesn't see
it. No looking at ktrace info, I see
/usr/pkg/share/gcompris/boards/sounds/C//j.ogg,
/usr/pkg/share/gcompris/boards/music/j.ogg and
/usr/pkg/share/gcompris/boards/sounds/j.ogg (without the "en" directory).

Where are the docs to install or get it to use the "en/" sounds?

My work-around was to create symlinks for all. Then (after it hung one
time), it said "u" :) But then it hung when I pressed the "u" graphic. The
screen wouldn't redraw.

This time CTRL-C triggered:

 ** (gcompris:29179): WARNING **: gcompris got the SIGINT signal, starting
 exit procedure
 menu_start section=/

 ** (gcompris:29179): WARNING **: No plugin library found for board type
 'pythonboard', requested by
 '/usr/pkg/share/gcompris/boards/pythontest.xml'

I am using NetBSD/i386 1.6.1_STABLE. This is what it is using:

GConf2>=2.2.0nb2
ORBit2>=2.6.0nb3
Xft2>=2.1nb1
atk>=1.2.2nb2
bonobo-activation>=2.1.1nb2
cdparanoia>=3.0
docbook>=4.2
esound>=0.2.18
esound>=0.2.26
expat>=1.95.2
fam>=2.6.7
fontconfig>=2.1nb1
freetype2>=2.0.9
freetype2>=2.1.3
glib2>=2.2.2nb1
gnome-mime-data>=2.2.0nb3
gnome-vfs2>=2.2.4nb3
gnome2-dirs>=1.0
gnome2-dirs>=1.1
gnome2-dirs>=1.2
gtk2+>=2.2.2nb2
iso8879>=1986
jpeg-6b
libIDL>=0.8.0nb2
libao>=0.8.3
libart2>=2.3.10nb1
libaudiofile>=0.2.1
libbonobo>=2.2.0nb2
libbonoboui>=2.2.0.1nb3
libglade2>=2.0.1nb9
libgnome>=2.2.3nb1
libgnomecanvas>=2.2.1nb1
libgnomeui>=2.2.2nb1
libiconv>=1.9.1
libogg>=1.0.0.8
libogg>=20030520
libvorbis>=1.0.0.8
libxml2>=2.5.8nb1
libxslt>=1.0.31nb1
linc>=1.0.1nb2
pango>=1.2.3nb1
perl>=5.0
png>=1.2.4
popt>=1.7nb2
pth>=2.0.0
python22>=2.2
tiff>=3.5.4
xmlcatmgr>=0.2

Anyone use gcompris under NetBSD?

Also, the tar used to install the boards doesn't seem to be portable:

tar: can't add file --exclude : No such file or directory
tar: can't add file *.in : No such file or directory
tar: can't add file --exclude : No such file or directory
tar: can't add file *~ : No such file or directory
tar: can't add file --exclude : No such file or directory
tar: can't add file --exclude : No such file or directory
tar: can't add file --exclude : No such file or directory
tar: can't add file CVS : No such file or directory
tar: can't add file --exclude : No such file or directory
tar: can't add file .xvpics : No such file or directory

This is GNU tar version 1.11.2

(Maybe the distribution should not include the files if not needed; or
pipe a "grep -E -v" inbetween to remove files from tar extraction as
needed. )

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/