[gcompris-devel] about assetml

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Mon Aug 25 09:39:04 UTC 2003

I am currently implementing assetml all around in gcompris.

You can get some description of assetml here:
http://freeduc.linuxtag.uni-kl.de/cps/Public/devel/assetml/

assetml creates a new level of indirection. instead of taking a resource
file image or sound from the file system, I take it from an xml file
(assetml) that gives more information on the file (credit description
category)

I have been in touch with kdeedu and tuxpaint and they both like the
concept. Now we need the implementation to be good enought to support
the concept.

The idea is to let other educational or free software share and reuse
our content. We start to have a lot of content and it would be great to
share it.

BTW, we have now a complete voice set for english ;) the files have been
realized by Susan Rich and are of very good quality.

Now there will be many changes in next release of gcompris. gcompris
will depend on gcompris-libassetml and several assetml data files.

gcompris-libassetml is totally independant and can be used in other
program. There is a gcompris-libassetml-devel with an API.

Internaly, I was about tu support assetml loading of image and sound and
flat file (current case) but this maybe complex since sometimes data
comes from xml data files and we need more information for assetml.
So I am wondering if I will not move to 100% assetml to make think
clearer.

Just my current though as I am progressing into this.

If anybody want to join his ideas, your welcome (the cvs is not yet up
to date)

As of today, it's unfortunatly not making thinks easier for us but I
thinks it is worth the effort if we can reach a point where valuable
content can be shared.