[gcompris-devel] point API

pgeorges pascal.georges1 at free.fr
Wed Dec 5 10:41:06 UTC 2001

bruno a écrit :

> I will try to explain how it works. The gnome canvas provides an
> automagic way to handle that by setting a zoom ration. This is done in
> gcompris.c with the call to:
>  gnome_canvas_set_pixels_per_unit (canvas, xratio);
>
> So at gcompris init, I look at the screen size and find the proper
> ratio.
>
> I expect the rework to be limited to a few boards.
> Next it would be great to find the way to go fullscreen.
>
> This is broken for text that are not scaled. Perhaps it will change in
> the future with pango or new gnome technology.

To be in fullscreen mode is a very good thing, preventing children to
click on wrong windows or to be disturbed by other apps.

But I am not sure that scaling is good choice : pixellisation effect is
ugly.
I don't know any 2D bitmap oriented game or edu software that uses
scaling, maybe it is because there is no way to make things work
properly (unless there are multiple sets of bitmaps, one set for each
standard resolution).
So I propose that a standard resolution is used, fixed at 800x600 for
example, and that in fullscreen mode, borders appear to fill the screen
(like in Adibou).

Pascal