[gcompris-devel] point API

bruno bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Sun Dec 2 14:04:04 UTC 2001

On dim, 2001-12-02 at 21:53, pgeorges wrote:
> bruno a écrit :
>
> > > I fully disagree on the use of a timer. Children don't like that
> > > (neither most adults). We must not make children panic because of a time
> > > out.
> > > I would prefer a gentle voice hurrying up the child, when he's sleeping
> > > in front of the screen.
> > >
> > I plan to use it only for algebra because it really makes sense to be
> > abble to answer in a given time.
> > My plan is to have the algebra set of board with or without timer to
> > meet different education goal.
> > Do you still disagree ?
>
> Timer may be just an optional function.

That's it.

> > > This will have a lot of consequences on many boards. Some are tuned to
> > > the actual resolution.
> >
> > I know, but the may problem we are facing is to be able to work in
> > 640x480 resolution.
>
> 640x480 is really far from actual size (around 800x600).
> For example the railroad board is difficult to port to 640x480.
>
> > I just found out that 640/480, 800/600, 1024/768 are equals.
> > My bet is by using this ratio, gcompris will be closer to fullscreen
> > (why not fullscreen ?).
>
> So, if I understand correctly, the rendering is done in a given
> resolution (800x600 for example), and scaled to fit any size ?
> How ?
> As gcompris will not use scrolling, a fixed size is a common solution.
> The question is which one ?

I will try to explain how it works. The gnome canvas provides an
automagic way to handle that by setting a zoom ration. This is done in
gcompris.c with the call to:
 gnome_canvas_set_pixels_per_unit (canvas, xratio);

So at gcompris init, I look at the screen size and find the proper
ratio.

I expect the rework to be limited to a few boards.
Next it would be great to find the way to go fullscreen.

This is broken for text that are not scaled. Perhaps it will change in
the future with pango or new gnome technology.

Bruno.