[gcompris-devel] point API

pgeorges pascal.georges1 at free.fr
Sun Dec 2 13:12:04 UTC 2001

bruno a écrit :

> > I fully disagree on the use of a timer. Children don't like that
> > (neither most adults). We must not make children panic because of a time
> > out.
> > I would prefer a gentle voice hurrying up the child, when he's sleeping
> > in front of the screen.
> >
> I plan to use it only for algebra because it really makes sense to be
> abble to answer in a given time.
> My plan is to have the algebra set of board with or without timer to
> meet different education goal.
> Do you still disagree ?

Timer may be just an optional function.

> > > Also, I would like to get rid of the gnome menu and most important,
> > > change the general size of gcompris to match a usual resolution ratio.
> > > It means that the 'drawing' area will be less high.
> >
> > This will have a lot of consequences on many boards. Some are tuned to
> > the actual resolution.
>
> I know, but the may problem we are facing is to be able to work in
> 640x480 resolution.

640x480 is really far from actual size (around 800x600).
For example the railroad board is difficult to port to 640x480.

> I just found out that 640/480, 800/600, 1024/768 are equals.
> My bet is by using this ratio, gcompris will be closer to fullscreen
> (why not fullscreen ?).

So, if I understand correctly, the rendering is done in a given
resolution (800x600 for example), and scaled to fit any size ?
How ?
As gcompris will not use scrolling, a fixed size is a common solution.
The question is which one ?

Pascal