[FreeNX-kNX] Re: Problem running KDE applications in rootless sessions on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx)

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Thu Mar 24 12:34:49 UTC 2011

Stefan Baur <newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de> wrote on 24/03/2011 12:08:52:

> Is there someone on the Ubuntu side of things that we could contact?

Yup the ubuntu freenx people . . .
. .  there is actually more traffic on the ubuntu forum.

> > You could try centos for a long term deployment tho
>
> Sorry, but my knowledge is limited to Debian-based distributions; it's
> been almost a decade since I last dealt with other Linux distributions
> (SuSE, mainly), so this is not an option for me.
>
> Also, are you, like, the only active developer left on the FreeNX
> project? There doesn't seem to be much traffic on this list and most of
> the replys seem to come from you.

Well, there are no FreeNX developers.
I'm just an admin user, much like you probably!!

FreeNX has a few "competitors", but they haven't reached quite the
level of functionality, and certainly not the install base, so despite
not being advanced and further, FreeNX continues to be the main
opensource NX application.

The "project" has fragmented somewhat, with some ubuntu users doing
various patching of the FreeNX scripts, and various others copying them.

These scripts can be run on any distro.

Most of the functionality is in the NX binaries, which come from the
opensource code provided by nomachine, the FreeNX scripts setting
up and managing the NX sessions.

I expect the issue in your case is that you use kde wheras ubuntu is
really
gnome oriented (whatever they say, I guess 99.9% of ubuntu installs
run gnome)

This means that your set up of rootless kde "applets" has almost certainly
not been tested, and you are probably the only user.

Since  my last posting, I tried recompiling the latest NX libraries source
on ubuntu, but still  got the same issue.

I haven't tried the latest kde on ubuntu , so you might get somewhere if
you give that a go.