[FreeNX-kNX] Re: Problem running KDE applications in rootless sessions on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx)

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Wed Mar 2 18:53:40 UTC 2011

Stefan Baur <newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de> wrote on 02/03/2011 17:59:59:

[SNIP]

What about firefox or openoffice rootless?? Is it just kde stuff ???

>I'm running the stock KDE shipped with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, which,
>according to http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/kde-full is 4.3.1,
>if I'm not mistaken.

I'm on 4.3.5 (from opensuse 11.2)

>Just to make sure we're both trying the same:
>- You're specifying "Desktop/Unix/Custom" and
        Yup
>   "Settings/Run the console" or
>  "Run the following command: /usr/bin/xterm"?
        I tried the latter of the two . . .
>   (Running a full KDE4 session, starting xterm/konsole in there,
>   and running konqueror from there works for me, too, that's not
>   a problem)
> - Are you using Windows as a client? And client version 3.4.0-5?

No I use only Linux.

You are better eliminating the client and network anyway by,
running in a terminal session on the server:-

        nxagent :1000

Then in another terminal session (where you will see the console
 dump)

        DISPLAY=:1000 konqueror ~

Have a look in your ~/.xsession-errors too.

You could try another instance of 10.04 LTS or
another verson of Ununtu - can you run from a CD ??

It doesn't look like an NX or FreeNX issue to me.

Do you have two versions of kde installed ??