[FreeNX-kNX] Re: Problem running KDE applications in rootless sessions on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx)

Stefan Baur newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de
Wed Mar 2 22:21:48 UTC 2011

Hi Chris,

you wrote:

> What about firefox or openoffice rootless?? Is it just kde stuff ???
Exactly. Only KDE applications cause trouble.

> >/  - Are you using Windows as a client? And client version 3.4.0-5?
> /
> No I use only Linux.
>
> You are better eliminating the client and network anyway by,
> running in a terminal session on the server:-
>
>          nxagent :1000
>
> Then in another terminal session (where you will see the console
>   dump)
>
>          DISPLAY=:1000 konqueror ~
>
> Have a look in your ~/.xsession-errors too.

No errors when running nxagent locally - konqueror runs just fine in the
nxagent window.

> You could try another instance of 10.04 LTS or
> another verson of Ununtu - can you run from a CD ??
>
> It doesn't look like an NX or FreeNX issue to me.
Well, I had the idea to install the Nomachine NXclient on the same
machine and connecting to 127.0.0.1.
Result: the NX session terminates unexpectedly when calling konqueror,
just like it does on Windows.
So I can reproduce the issue under Windows (NXClient 3.4.0-5) and Linux
(NXClient 3.4.0-7).
The crash logs *nothing* in .xsession-errors

If it's not an NX nor a FreeNX issue, what is it?

> Do you have two versions of kde installed ??
Not sure what you mean by that. My test machine is a stock install:

Installed from kubuntu-10.04.1-desktop-i386.iso with all options during
installation set to default, followed by
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -d -y
sudo apt-get upgrade -y
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:freenx-team/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install freenx -y

Result of dpkg -l|grep ' kde':
ii  kde-l10n-engb
4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1~lucid2                         British English (engb)
localization for KDE
ii  kde-window-manager
4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1                                the KDE 4 window manager
(KWin)
ii  kde-zeroconf
4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1                                zeroconf plugins and kio
slaves for KDE 4
ii  kdebase-bin
4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1                                core binaries for the
KDE 4 base module
ii  kdebase-data
4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1                                shared data files for
the KDE 4 base module
ii  kdebase-plasma
4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1                                Transitional package for
plasma-widget-folde
ii  kdebase-runtime
4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1                                runtime components from
the official KDE 4 r
ii  kdebase-runtime-data
4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1                                shared data files for
the KDE 4 base runtime
ii  kdebase-workspace
4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1                                base workspace
components from the official
ii  kdebase-workspace-bin
4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1                                core binaries for the
KDE 4 base workspace m
ii  kdebase-workspace-data
4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1                                shared scripts and data
files for the KDE 4
ii  kdebase-workspace-kgreet-plugins
4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1                                KDE greet libraries for
authentication
ii  kdegraphics-strigi-plugins
4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1                                graphics file format
plugins for Strigi Desk
ii  kdelibs-bin
4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1                                executables for all KDE
4 core applications
ii  kdelibs5
4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1                                core libraries for all
KDE 4 applications
ii  kdelibs5-data
4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1                                core shared data for all
KDE 4 applications
ii  kdemultimedia-kio-plugins
4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1                                transparent audio CD
access for KDE 4 applic
ii  kdepasswd
4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1                                password changer for KDE 4
ii  kdepim-groupware
4:4.4.8-0ubuntu0.0.1                            KDE PIM Groupware plugins
ii  kdepim-kresources
4:4.4.8-0ubuntu0.0.1                            KDE PIM resource plugins
ii  kdepim-runtime
4:4.4.8-0ubuntu0.0.1                            Runtime components for
akonadi-kde
ii  kdepim-strigi-plugins
4:4.4.8-0ubuntu0.0.1                            PIM file format plugins
for Strigi Desktop S
ii  kdepim-wizards
4:4.4.8-0ubuntu0.0.1                            KDE server configuration
wizards
ii  kdepimlibs-data
4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1                                core shared data for KDE
PIM 4 applications
ii  kdepimlibs5
4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1                                core libraries for KDE
PIM 4 applications
ii  kdesudo
3.4.2.3-0ubuntu1                                sudo frontend for KDE4
ii  libkworkspace4
4:4.4.5-0ubuntu1                                Library for the kdebase
workspace

Kind Regards,
Stefan